IGNORED

Parts Refurb

jfa.series1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Agreed. I'm assuming weather and heat exposure are the two biggest contributors to the deterioration.

Have you got one where it's broken, but you have all the parts still? You could sent it my way and I could poke around with it.

I have a couple of complete switches with a broken toggle, not likely to have the missing handle segment but will check.  As a fallback, I could take some measurements of the NOS handle segment for you.  If you want to mess with a busted switch sans handle I can send it - still have your address.

Let me see what I have here first before you send parts. I know I have a complete working unit on my car, so I can take handle measurements off that (assuming they didn't change any over the years). What I'm not sure about is if I have a broken one laying around. I'll take a look when I get a chance. 

I did have one more thought on a repro technique... Make the whole thing out of metal, but make the handle section narrower than stock (and not tapered). Then glue on a hollow white plastic handle. Or a black one. Or a teak one. Or mother of pearl... LOL

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

No meaningful updates on the inspection lights topic, the bodies went off to plating a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if the business has been shut down by the virus situation.  New lenses are on order from Steve Nix, all the switches have been cleaned and serviced. 

Today it was back into the attic to get a couple more boxes of the parts hoard down for work.  The first box had a set of taillights that look to be in pretty good shape and four license plate lights.  The license lights have been completely disassembled for cleaning, plating, painting, ...etc.  With any luck I'll be able to realize three complete refurbed units from the parts.  No work yet on the taillights.

The next box was an assortment of turn signal lights - the verdict is still out on the quality of the contents.  I did try to break down one of the assemblies and was faced with the typical rusted tiny screws along the bottom edge.  You know... the ones that either wallow out the Phillips head or just snap off.  Still, there are some promising looking parts in the box and likely a few sets of complete TS assemblies.

TS01.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I removed the reflectors from the turn signal lights I have. I thought about trying to get them nickle plated for the mirror effect

Cheap-arse alternate----I've successfully used that aluminum air conditioning foil duct tape to cover the reflector. It has adhesive on the back, can be applied as an overlarge strip to the reflector and the excess trimmed with an x-acto knife. Polished with metal polishing compound it has pretty darn good reflectivity, especially if you spray paint the housings white before assembly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“No meaningful updates on the inspection lights topic, the bodies went off to plating a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if the business has been shut down by the virus situation.  New lenses are on order from Steve Nix, all the switches have b..”

jfa-series1 - I didn’t know someone was reproducing the lenses. Would you mind PM’ing me Steve’s contact info. 

Edited by colinc

8 hours ago, Zup said:

Cheap-arse alternate----I've successfully used that aluminum air conditioning foil duct tape to cover the reflector. It has adhesive on the back, can be applied as an overlarge strip to the reflector and the excess trimmed with an x-acto knife. Polished with metal polishing compound it has pretty darn good reflectivity, especially if you spray paint the housings white before assembly.

I did the "Cheap-arse" aluminium tape method to restore my set too. It turned out ok, but no where near the quality of what @jfa.series1 is doing. It takes a lot of time and dedication smiley_abuv - Copy.gif

Some photos of my humble atempt to restore my TS lenses. I also fabricated new brackets to replace the missing ones and welded the set screws in place. Repaired and polished the lenses.

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

Edited by EuroDat
Extra photos
  • Like 3

I have a thread here somewhere where I made the lenses and an extended version for the longer LED. Took me a threw attempts to get the colour density right. Luckely the plating on my inspection lights were in good condition and I only needed the lenses.

And to think, these were still availble through Nissan for $120 new in the box until about 4 years ago. Who would have thought we would be where we are now.

DSC_005.jpg

DSC_009 - kopie.JPG

DSC_006.jpg

• Like 4

Two to make one and some fixes

1. Best lens but with rotted hardware in place.

001.jpg

2. Broken donor with best reflector.

002.jpg

3. Repair to best lens: Forget the hole and thread, epoxy a 3mm screw and secure with a nut and washer on the outside.

003.jpg

4.Best backing with donor reflector ready to go in.

004.jpg

5. Reflector replaced

005.jpg

Finished:

image.png

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

No meaningful updates on the inspection lights topic, the bodies went off to plating a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if the business has been shut down by the virus situation.  New lenses are on order from Steve Nix, all the switches have been cleaned and serviced. 

Today it was back into the attic to get a couple more boxes of the parts hoard down for work.  The first box had a set of taillights that look to be in pretty good shape and four license plate lights.  The license lights have been completely disassembled for cleaning, plating, painting, ...etc.  With any luck I'll be able to realize three complete refurbed units from the parts.  No work yet on the taillights.

The next box was an assortment of turn signal lights - the verdict is still out on the quality of the contents.  I did try to break down one of the assemblies and was faced with the typical rusted tiny screws along the bottom edge.  You know... the ones that either wallow out the Phillips head or just snap off.  Still, there are some promising looking parts in the box and likely a few sets of complete TS assemblies.

TS01.jpg

Wow!  That's collecting in my opinion, wisely too. 

I guess that A&E television show changed my perception of the meaning "hoarding".  They only show the nut jobs with newspapers stacked to the ceiling for people to gawk at then think their mess isn't so bad after all.  You know, those "feel good" shows. LOL