IGNORED

Parts Refurb

jfa.series1

Thanks again to @SteveJ for the link to DigiKey.  Going thru their catalog I located this switch that has dimensions very close to OE.  I've got 5 on order, will update this thread with fitment results when they arrive.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/electroswitch/7105B/451-1156-ND/2679539

Toggle Switch.jpg

• Like 1

It would be neat to modernize that light and do the following:

1. Bright LED
  2. Lithium Battery for wireless mobility
  3. Secured to fender with magnet that allows light to stick to objects when in use
  4. 12V charging lead is to the base and the light disconnects from charging when removed

38 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

It would be neat to modernize that light and do the following:

1. Bright LED
  2. Lithium Battery for wireless mobility
  3. Secured to fender with magnet that allows light to stick to objects when in use
  4. 12V charging lead is to the base and the light disconnects from charging when removed

Inspection Light 2.0 - go for it! ? 

Sign me: Anxiously awaiting your prototype.

I think we have a winner!  Here is the new switch installed in a light body, pictured with a NOS unit for comparison.  No interference inside when installing the switch.  The bat (toggle) is larger and the bushing extends further out of the body.  The exposed bushing length can be adjusted as there is a hex nut inside the body for that purpose and one outside to lock it in place.  I plan to have the hex nuts yellow zinc plated and will paint one of the switches to more closely resemble OE.  Stay tuned to this station for continuing updates.

New Switch.jpg

• Like 4

Absolutely. That would be an easy part for 3D printing. My only concern would be how durable would it be? I'm not sure how brittle that stuff is.

My SWAG would be that the original part is glass reinforced nylon.

So @jfa.series1,  the original parts all snap off where the handle meets the spherical section, right? Another possibility would be to just make a "handle" and drill out a hole in the original sphere and glue a new handle in place? Tricky tooling setup, but might take less time than making a whole new piece from scratch.

I still think that painting a metal one flat white would be the best all around solution. I'll just have to carry a magnet with me to shows in the future so I can tell originals from repros and judge the cars appropriately.  LOL

10 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Absolutely. That would be an easy part for 3D printing. My only concern would be how durable would it be? I'm not sure how brittle that stuff is.

My SWAG would be that the original part is glass reinforced nylon.

So @jfa.series1,  the original parts all snap off where the handle meets the spherical section, right? Another possibility would be to just make a "handle" and drill out a hole in the original sphere and glue a new handle in place? Tricky tooling setup, but might take less time than making a whole new piece from scratch.

I still think that painting a metal one flat white would be the best all around solution. I'll just have to carry a magnet with me to shows in the future so I can tell originals from repros and judge the cars appropriately.  LOL

Captain - You are on target with the point of breakage.  In going thru these units, I determined that the deciding factor has been the amount of weather exposure that resulted in deterioration of the exposed handle portion of the entire toggle.  It is similar to the breakdown of the nylon insulators found on the fuel rails.  My car has always been garaged, not a bit of breakdown on any of these bits.

I suspect it would be every bit as difficult to turn out a replacement handle as it would be to turn a complete unit and as you point out, a tricky process to drill a receiving hole in the ball.

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the metal bat is a bit larger in diameter but properly finished it might be difficult to spot by show judges.  Heck, it would only count in the ZCCA Stock class anyway.  I hope to have a prototype ready soon.