IGNORED

Hitachi 280ZX Distributors

Av8ferg

8 hours ago, AK260 said:

If you can lathe the whole thing down

Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't do it that way. I would press (or pin or silver solder or glue or loctite sleeve retainer or something) a 25mm long (or so) cylindrical piece of tubing onto the shaft up where the original bushing wore. Then I would machine that pressed on piece concentric to the shaft leaving it a little larger than the original diameter of the shaft.

Then I would ream the upper bushing to fit the larger diameter. Looks like there's plenty of meat in the oilite bushing to make the hole a little larger than stock.

That way I wouldn't have to cut the whole shaft down, just the top portion. So what if the holes in the two bushings aren't the same size. Shouldn't matter, right?

Of course, never having done it... It's all speculation that plan would work.   LOL  That shaft goes in from the top, right?  Haha!!

• Like 2

[mention=19495]captain[/mention] obvious - ooooh! Now I really like that idea.

[mention=2635]zedhead[/mention] - very nice find. Never knew such a thing existed! Everyday is a school day.

In the UK they are dirt cheap compared with the cost of a 123 toy.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Bushes-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Plain-Bushes/c3_4511_4770/index.html?page=1

Do yourself a favour and while you are about it, turn another to replace the little plastic guide at the bottom of the shaft (which helps locate it into the oil pump drive shaft). Mine was as brittle as an Arizona S30 dash and crumbled with just a stare.

Yes, that makes money....the other drains it!  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you fly a Max? Or should i say are you grounded!?

[mention=19495]captain[/mention] obvious - ooooh! Now I really like that idea.

[mention=2635]zedhead[/mention] - very nice find. Never knew such a thing existed! Everyday is a school day.

In the UK they are dirt cheap compared with the cost of a 123 toy.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Bushes-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Plain-Bushes/c3_4511_4770/index.html?page=1

Do yourself a favour and while you are about it, turn another to replace the little plastic guide at the bottom of the shaft (which helps locate it into the oil pump drive shaft). Mine was as brittle as an Arizona S30 dash and crumbled with just a stare.

Do you fly a Max? Or should i say are you grounded!?  

My was cracked too. Will try and find a replacement.

I fly the 757 but would have no concerns flying the Max. It’s a concern if you don’t know how to fly like many 3 world carriers. They rely on automation too much and can’t handle the machine without it when things go wrong. I flew for 25 years without an autopilot it’s no big deal. Rule #1 push down....houses get bigger, pull up....houses get smaller.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In fact, come to think of it, you can use the old bush that comes out of the dizzy for this purpose. The Cardone came with a metal sleeve and I can’t see why it “has” to be plastic! The plastic one in mine had a fair bit of movement, so it doesn’t have to be 100% perfect fit, 99% will do it I suspect it acts more as a guide and to keep things aligned while spinning at speed.

My was cracked too. Will try and find a replacement.

Rule #1 push down....houses get bigger, pull up....houses get smaller.

Totally cracked me up!!

Exactly. You would only need to replace the lower bushing if it's worn. You could hopefully size an upper sleeve such that you could reuse the upper bushing if it was salvageable by reaming. That's why I was thinking that would be a better plan. Less time on the lathe and less risk of introducing concentricity error into the original shaft. Don't run the risk of screwing up the oil distribution spiral groove in the shaft, etc.

LOL. So maybe I should go into the distributor rebuilding business? Haha!!

Since I don’t really know what you guys are talking about and I don’t have fancy tools like Captain Obvious I thought I’d post pics of my two distributors broken down.  I can see some parts are bad like the plastic tips and one of the breaker plates has a broken bearing holder.  The tips of the magnetic star and reluctor don’t look consistent either.   I think I can order some of these parts. 

2E65D033-7E24-4376-B3B6-B0EB25A18AF3.jpeg

F6FBAB71-8FD2-472B-B484-D4EF4E8215CB.jpeg

C83D1D9D-02F8-4B40-8814-474E8AF2C7D5.jpeg

F206FDEF-A6FF-4770-97EA-166834B63D56.jpeg

F8E304CF-1A6E-4C4E-A5E7-4B112C8CC985.jpeg

It doesn't loo terrible.  The most sensitive part is the breaker plate.  Have you tried to rotate the unbroken one yet?  Be careful.  You might have enough thee to make one good distirbutor.

And the magnetic ring is probably stuck to the bottom of the spiky ring.

image.png

image.png

I seem to recall that the metal bottom bushing from a 280Z distributor would replace the plastic ZX one.  Nissan just swapped materials.

Thanks, yes one of the magnets fell apart when I tried to pull it. It was already cracked. The other one is intact but I see one hairline crack. If I pull it she’ll brake. The breaker plate for one looks good. Had some rust on bearings that I’ve cleaned and lubricated so it probably good. I’ll see if I can order the base plastic thing and get a metal one. The shafts look good to me! 7f362bb15166e48cc9e5b6c995f8d485.jpg
a8138b5369cbfd65c0aba3b5c837d9b1.jpg