IGNORED

Hitachi 280ZX Distributors

Av8ferg

Well, I like the cars! not that it matters...

To be honest, while the Viper screams like a rapped ape and is very reliable, in many ways I prefer the Z....or what the Z will finally be when completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

To be honest, while the Viper screams like a rapped ape and is very reliable, in many ways I prefer the Z....or what the Z will finally be when completed.

I understand. They are different tools for different jobs

Ha! My wife is way too smart to fall for that one. She get rid of all my cars if she could and put me in 99 Honda Accord. I have a 2000 Viper that my father gave me right before he passed away. She hates to even look at it. Wants me to sell it immediately but since it’s a rare car 1 of 34, I’ve convinced her the car will be highly valuable later. She would set it on fire if she could. The Z is at another location so she doesn’t have to look at daily it but thinks it’s a piece of crap. She wouldn’t be seen in either car for any reason.
48d4eaa6791cf1b110f4c1d57c950c6e.jpg&key=10ef8946eb906fc00114ad7ee034c3e2e86fb1074b32adba32e8538dab2fff3cf81f5be97cf1b48a6efd4a348486509b.jpg&key=8455f3f2f33ad2d10f37dc81dda4248ed60ed77ae9da3cd28750eda7f7ff8f76

That is a STUNNING bit of kit!! You very lucky man. Have you explored the options for divorce!? You would have a very strong case. ;)

Fortunately my wife married someone like her father so she’s used to classic cars, parts all over the house, lots of weekends of spannering and my bad jokes. The latter, only her father truly appreciates.

I did cross the line though when she discovered the heat-shield and intake manifold had been in the dishwasher. It did smell of intake and had to be washed empty twice with dishwasher cleaner before normal service was resumed - so I guess she had a point. But the heat-shield did come out “gleaming” on the intensive wash setting; it was worth the beating and bruises.

Back to dizzys - the 280z and Zx dizzy bushings can be replaced if you have a way to ream them to the correct size. New un-reamed bushes on the left ....

99871d113c21f7a6737fe7381bb28e49.jpg

You can see the wear on the shaft just before the advance mechanism. This is my brand new unused cardone item ...

0b8bedd30e7d46d43db9e87699509040.jpg

The shaft wear is tiny when measure by callipers but makes quite a difference to the movement. So if you go old dizzy, measure the shaft at different points. If you can lathe the whole thing down to the most worn diameter and ream the bushes to match, then you are onto a winner. At this point I decided my life was too short and went 123, it if I had more time and a stock engine then I may have gone down this road.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AK260 said:

That is a STUNNING bit of kit!! You very lucky man. Have you explored the options for divorce!? You would have a very strong case. ?

Fortunately my wife married someone like her father so she’s used to classic cars, parts all over the house, lots of weekends of spannering and my bad jokes. The latter, only her father truly appreciates.

I did cross the line though when she discovered the heat-shield and intake manifold had been in the dishwasher. It did smell of intake and had to be washed empty twice with dishwasher cleaner before normal service was resumed - so I guess she had a point. But the heat-shield did come out “gleaming” on the intensive wash setting; it was worth the beating and bruises.

Back to dizzys - the 280z and Zx dizzy bushings can be replaced if you have a way to ream them to the correct size. New un-reamed bushes on the left ....

99871d113c21f7a6737fe7381bb28e49.jpg

You can see the wear on the shaft just before the advance mechanism. This is my brand new unused cardone item ...

0b8bedd30e7d46d43db9e87699509040.jpg

The shaft wear is tiny when measure by callipers but makes quite a difference to the movement. So if you go old dizzy, measure the shaft at different points. If you can lathe the whole thing down to the most worn diameter and ream the bushes to match, then you are onto a winner. At this point I decided my life was too short and went 123, it if I had more time and a stock engine then I may have gone down this road.

That's one of the many reasons I'm happily single. One of my early serious girlfriends came home to find all the frozen food, racks and ice bucket out of the freezer and my dented DRZ400's fuel tank in there filled with water freezing to pop the dent out. LOL

Edit: "happily single" at 50 is an oxymoron I'm learning.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AK260 said:

If you can lathe the whole thing down to the most worn diameter and ream the bushes to match, then you are onto a winner.

That's an interesting idea. I bet I could do something with that.

Is that where they usually wear? At the top bushing?