IGNORED

MSD ign box

toastedboy54

The green and red wires are your "mag pickup" wires.  You'll have to extend them after you unplug them from the black box ignition module..  If you want to use the MSD system.  
image.png.d60d3408112c7bd01976ded07a78813d.png

Ok so I unplug extend and then is there any point in keeping the module on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick question, what is the point of going to the MSD box? The distributor is already electronic and the spark should be more than hot enough for most applications

I got it with the car and I’ve heard they work good so I thought I’d try it

16 minutes ago, toastedboy54 said:

I guess it depends on who you heard that from...

The distributor you have in there is running a lot of Zs just fine, and 510's for that matter. It is missing the vacuum advance by the looks of it. I wouldn't change it for now. Work on the other issues, like the INOP tachometer. Personally I wouldn't make changes to the car unless there is an obvious problem. Once it is 100% sorted, then you can tinker if you want and you will be able to readily see the results of the changes

I guess it depends on who you heard that from...
The distributor you have in there is running a lot of Zs just fine, and 510's for that matter. It is missing the vacuum advance by the looks of it. I wouldn't change it for now. Work on the other issues, like the INOP tachometer. Personally I wouldn't make changes to the car unless there is an obvious problem. Once it is 100% sorted, then you can tinker if you want and you will be able to readily see the results of the changes

I’m not sure the tach can be hooked up. How would I hook it up on this car?

2 hours ago, toastedboy54 said:

Does the car run and drive now?  It's sounding like you bought a ZX that's been modified and might not even run.  Lots of things not connected.

I think that there are other ways to use the MSD system, with the ZX module triggering the MSD.  But, you don't know which wire is which so getting there would be quite a stretch for you.  You'd be better off to learn how what you have works before trying to modify anything.  You have a ways to go.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Does the run and drive now?  It's sounding like you bought a ZX that's been modified and might not even run.  Lots of things not connected.
I think that there are other ways to use the MSD system, with the ZX module triggering the MSD.  But, you don't know which wire is which so getting there would be quite a stretch for you.  You'd be better off to learn how what you have works before trying to modify anything.  You have a ways to go.

It runs and drives. Basically the only thing that doesn’t work are the gauges

Does it have a 4 barrel carb and manifold?  Just curious, I'd guess it does.

Still, you gotta learn what those wires do.  And you should do some inspection and maintenance on that ZX distributor.  It's rusty and they are prone to breaking if the bushing gets worn.

Does it have a 4 barrel carb and manifold?  Just curious, I'd guess it does.
Still, you gotta learn what those wires do.  And you should do some inspection and maintenance on that ZX distributor.  It's rusty and they are prone to breaking if the bushing gets worn.

It did. But it has a Holley two barrel now. Maintenance as in new rotor??