DatsunZGuy

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

4 minutes ago, kats said:

Hi Blue , you need to come to Japan and see me and my Z432 before it’s gone .  I am talking about stock vs stock like Alan do .

You will see what Z432 is like 😊

Kats

Thanks !  It will be a dream. I will take you up on this the next time I am in Japan.

My only connections to the 432 is a mirror I picked up on Ebay and a 432R toy car I just got in the mail last night 🙂

• Like 1

Many of my friends in Japan we’re amazed by this green car . So many people were watching at the auction, I am sure the winner must be very happy obtaining the incredible car . 

Here are some pictures of A/C of Fairlady Z . The 110 Red car is the one which I showed before , totally original , untouched , beautifully maintained like the green BAT car .

Kats

2D44A2F8-F0BA-4FFA-A4F3-F84D96347801.jpeg

2ECA32E0-04DE-411A-A65F-1521F56474A4.jpeg

Edited by kats
    • Like 3

49 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

But still I would rather have Dimwit #1's BMW fitted Z 🙂  @grannyknot for the extra torque and HP!

I thought you were Dimwit #1 and I was #2,  I'll tell you what, I'll wear the crown this year and you can have back next year, deal?

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kats said:

Many of my friends in Japan we’re amazed by this green car . So many people were watching at the auction,

No kidding.  I'm getting phone calls from friends all over the country.  This auction caused quite the stir.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

In post war Japan Nissan only gained a serious interest in racing AFTER a privateer won a race in mid 1963.  Likewise the acquisition of Prince also raised the racing bar in Nissan when it merged with Nissan in mid 1966 however Nissan USA with Mr K was actively supporting racing since 1960. (Bob Sharp started with Nissan in 1964). USA was heading the Nissan racing effort!

Two points: Firstly, Genichiro Tahara's activities were backed by Nissan and his car was a little 'warmed over'. It was essentially a factory-backed effort in disguise. If you want to go deeper into Nissan's plans and activities for racing and rallying in Japan you might want to prepare yourself for some deeper depths than you have previously dived to. Its a little bit more complex a subject than you may realise.

Secondly, why do you make the distinction of "...Nissan USA with Mr K..."? This is just another example of Katayama Lore overshadowing the conversation. Nissan was Nissan. Katayama was working for Nissan, not 'Katayama USA Inc.' So NISSAN were supporting motor sports activities in the USA (and elsewhere) and you citing Katayama is just a consequence of that whole "they wanted me to fail", "I was banished" narrative which is all a bit too poor me, poor me, pour me a drink for my taste, and doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. 

Nissan was just as interested in motorsports activities in Japan as anywhere else, and their eyes were always on their commercial competitors in Japan. In the early 1960s that meant Toyota. Once they got into it, it became an arms race which Nissan won. But before factory team and privateer racing could take off in Japan, Japan needed to get to a tipping point; courses to race on, cars suitable to race with, people willing to spend money to watch or partake, and a useful spin-off for promotion and sales. More than that, a point where Japan could feed itself and make sure it had clean running water and a roof over its head. Japan had - make no mistake - been totally DEVASTATED by war. It therefore took longer for Japan to rebuild itself to the stage where it could feasibly engage in such fripperies as motorsports. The USA, by contrast, was enjoying a booming economy and American society had never had it so good. So pointing at your 'Mr K' as the man who was making it happen is a little fresh...  

19 minutes ago, kats said:

Many of my friends in Japan we’re amazed by this green car . So many people were watching at the auction, I am sure the winner must be very happy obtaining the incredible car .

Watching the auction count down 'live' in the pub with you was a slightly surreal experience, Kats. I think we were both giggling as the numbers went up and up, right? Crazy stuff.

• Like 1

Yes Alan , we set an iPad and nice burgers for the show . I had a lot of fan , thank a lot !! 

Kats

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I thought you were Dimwit #1 and I was #2,  I'll tell you what, I'll wear the crown this year and you can have back next year, deal?

You're Mr "432 is nothing special" around these parts. Add it to your sig so you don't forget.

28 minutes ago, kats said:

Here are some pictures of A/C of Fairlady Z . The 110 Red car is the one which I showed before , totally original , untouched , beautifully maintained like the green BAT car .

Kats

Did you see @gundee's post above in this thread... a 72 240z with ~ 2,600 miles.....  Way more NOS.... $410k ?

1 hour ago, kats said:

Hi Roo , it is a nice early Fairlady ZL , for me it is surprising to see it outside of Japan .

About the sound deadening , ( I am talking about at the rear deck ) at least up to summer of 1973 , Fairlady Z series don’t have the sound deadening on the rear deck .On the other hand ,  looking at my 03/70 US 240Z , there is already the sound deadening on the rear deck .

Here's the rear deck of the 10/70 L20 240Z, is this the insulation you are talking about. It also has the screws in the bottom of the door panel like the Green car on Bat. I noticed the Z432R have them as well.

Wheel well.jpg

Edited by SpeedRoo
    • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Here's the rear deck of the 10/70 L20 240Z, is this the insulation you are talking about. It also has the screws in the bottom of the door panel like the Green car on Bat. I noticed the Z432R have them as well.

Wheel well.jpg

Yes, this is the dmping material on you trunk floor

Yes, Roo.  We have referred to it as 'tar mat'.  My early cars do not have this material on the rear deck as you show here.

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Rhetorical questions: How were the quoted power figures tested? UK/Aus/Euro/NZ 240Z models had the L24 engine without the smog pump-equipment, had retarded timing (check out the different distributors) of the HLS30U, but power figures are all quoted as being the same. Which is correct?

My money is on the HLS30U giving way less power at the wheels than the PS30, but also way less than the HS30U/HLS30.

Did you miss the point about the stock package? I'm talking about the whole car. These are supposed to be sports cars. You don't win sports car Top Trumps by being less sporty.

Alan: I think the HLS30UN would be included in the UK/Aus/Euro/NZ list, Yes? Just no 5-speed.

14 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

Alan: I think the HLS30UN would be included in the UK/Aus/Euro/NZ list, Yes? Just no 5-speed.

No smog pump/anti-emissions devices on non-North American market 240Zs, and also different distributor.

I say less power on HLS30U/UN/UV. It's impossible for them all to be the single, same, factory quoted output in the field. The engines were tested 'bare', with no load. No pumps.

59 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Here's the rear deck of the 10/70 L20 240Z...

Typo?

Just my thoughts on displacement: when it comes to racing,  I’d imagine it would be a real challenge to enter a car with a 2400cc engine into an “under 2000cc” class. 
    Going the other way: enough displacement will usually usurp most technology advantages, which is the reason that pretty much every model of car can be made to go faster with an SBC transplant. I’d venture to say It’s probably why they have classes, rules, and regulations to begin with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Why would you assume that development of the factory 'safety bar' kit was specific to USA safety requirements?

Nissan had committed - 'early in the Z programme' - to using the S30-series Z in its own racing and rallying activities, and made sure that this was taken into account in the design & engineering of the cars. FIA and JAF homologation was very important and required an integrated effort in order to get the application in early enough for it to be legal for the start of the 1970 season.

Clue: Monte Carlo. It's not in the USA:

69-Monte-Image-Car-1.JPG

These early cars were extremely light! In the first FiA homologation it is 920 kilo.........    And if you  see an very early 10-1969 you can imagine that. How younger the production # the more brackets and sheet metal you see

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

No smog pump/anti-emissions devices on non-North American market 240Zs, and also different distributor.

I say less power on HLS30U/UN/UV. It's impossible for them all to be the single, same, factory quoted output in the field. The engines were tested 'bare', with no load. No pumps.

But that is my point, the UN has no smog pump/anti-emissions devices and also a different distributor.

• Like 1

Yes, my thoughts also.  The UN went to Canada except Ontario

50 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

But that is my point, the UN has no smog pump/anti-emissions devices and also a different distributor.

I think we are both reading from the same page here. The wider point is that the power values stated on the chassis tag - and in the literature, and quoted back to me by SpeedRoo in comparison with the S20 - are quantified before the other devices are bolted on, so not all L24-engined models were created equal.

Edit: And I LIKE it when Canada sticks up for Canada. The "Made For USA" thing bugs me vicariously for Canada as much as anywhere else. The Kaku U team WENT TO Canada for heaven's sake!

Edited by HS30-H

2 hours ago, christoffel said:

These early cars were extremely light! In the first FiA homologation it is 920 kilo.........   

I think a 'fully loaded' '69/'70 HLS30U would struggle to make that weight in real life. I think the car used for the FIA 3023 homologation had - shall we say - a little bit of a diet before being tested...  There's some talk that the FIA 3023 homologation sample car actually had a PZR body.

JAF homologation of the 432-R was 960kg 'wet', so that's with 100 litre tank full. It seems to indicate the FIA 3023 car was, er, 'special'...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xs10shl said:

Just my thoughts on displacement: when it comes to racing,  I’d imagine it would be a real challenge to enter a car with a 2400cc engine into an “under 2000cc” class. 
    Going the other way: enough displacement will usually usurp most technology advantages, which is the reason that pretty much every model of car can be made to go faster with an SBC transplant. I’d venture to say It’s probably why they have classes, rules, and regulations to begin with. 

By the end of 1970, works-affiliated privateers with 432-Rs found themselves racing in re-jigged race classes that allowed engine capacities up to 3 litres. They promptly installed TOMEI-tuned pushrod H30 stock car engines in their 432-R bodies:

Kuwashima 432-R Tomei H30 engine.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christoffel said:

These early cars were extremely light! In the first FiA homologation it is 920 kilo.........    And if you  see an very early 10-1969 you can imagine that. How younger the production # the more brackets and sheet metal you see

The same racer that preferred the L24 for racing over S20 also preferred the skyline over the 432R for its stiffness.  Light may not always be better.

Edited by 240260280

9 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

The same racer that preferred the L24 for racing over S20 also preferred the skyline over the 432R for its stiffness.  Light may not always be better.

Which "the" Skyline?

I own a KPGC10 race car and I can tell you that its bodyshell is no stiffer than any S30-series Z bodyshell.

• Like 1