IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

17 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

--------------------

If you're embarking on a voyage to define the nuances between real and fake, and all stops in between, I'll come down to the port to wave you off.

It's going to be a long old trip...

Oh and, before you sail, I'd be interested to see if you noticed (and can explain...?) the difference between 'replica' and 'replica project'? 

Edited by HS30-H

5 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

If you're embarking on a voyage to define the nuances between real and fake, and all stops in between, I'll come down to the port to wave you off.

It's going to be a long old trip...

Oh and, before you sail, I'd be interested to see if you noticed (and can explain...?) the difference between 'replica' and 'replica project'? 

Just keeping your content accurate.  I believe you need a body to improve the accuracy in replicating.

@HS30-H  On BAT people don't take you serious when you are not from the US. I guess this L4steppre never took a 240 apart.  Because than he would know that drilling holes in doorcards and doors and putting in screws without prefab the location, wasn't the way the Nissan Factory operated.  

Thanks, I will take a look at Jalopy!!

For me the beauty of the S30's is that they designed it extremely light.    After taking apart several 240's I can see without knowing the VIN# wich of the 2 bodyshells is earlier than the other, teh later one has always more reinforcements.

But still I have to learn a lot of things,  and one day I hope I will have a PS30. I drove the car of Kats in summer 2018 when I visited Japan. 

The S30 wich made me smile the most is this 1970 US (see picture) market car with triple Mikuni's, matching but improved engine with a 2,8 crank, LSD, 5-speed, coilovers and improved brakes. End of september I did a trip with it in the South of France of about 4000KM. To replace this I'm building a period correct HLS30 #156 with all period/Nissan/Datsun competition parts I can get.

image.png

• Like 3

@kats I should have know this about the inspection lids!    The earliest cars I have after the 69's is #672/913 and 954. I will take a look at their inspection lid. I'm very curious, becuase just a tab welded to the inspection lid souns  like a temporialy fix. I'll show soon some pictures

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Just keeping your content accurate.

You'll be doing a lot of catching up, as I reckon I correct fifty of your mistakes for every one of mine you'll do me the honour of pointing out.

22 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I believe you need a body to improve the accuracy in replicating.

Not sure you've thought very long about this. The fact is that a "replica" 432-R is a physical and intellectual impossibility, since - in the end - it all comes down to identity. Even if I went to the extremes of having lightweight PZR-style body sections pressed, welded them all together and got everything else spot-on (but still 'fake', right?), such a car could not be considered a true 'replica' of a genuine 432-R without replicating a 432-R chassis number. As that would be illegal, you're snookered.  

And I must say, this is pretty heady stuff coming from somebody who - just last week - was asking what panels were lightweight, and what panels were beefed-up, on a 432-R bodyshell. 

Deflecting a discussion is a well known tactic.  Please take the advice as helpful.

I'm working on a tribute to the 1969 blue 240z at the Tokyo Motor Show. I considered the words: replicas, copy, etc. but tribute is the only accurate word.  I was happy that we are both in the same boat but your 432R tribute is a far more challenging effort than mine.