IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

Thanks Kats!

You are a great friend to give me such a thorough explanation.  Now I must compare all my seat frames.  I DO think the seats in the BaT car look a little gaunt.  I liked your post about extra padding in the seats and plan to rebuild my seats with extra padding.

Off topic; my 26th is still in the body shop and 27th is still in storage.  I was hoping 26th would be green by now but you know how body shops are...  I have applied for a building permit to construct a garage / shop at my house.  The arrangement for storage of the cars was silly and I finally have some money to construct my own shop.  My latest Z projects involve getting all the hardware plated and I just sent the carburetors from both 26th and 27th to Z Therapy.

This car on BaT is very pretty.  I don't like the white stripes, but the interior is fantastic by the uniform color of the butterscotch.  All the plastic appears to be in very good condition.  I wonder why the entire brake system has been replaced?  And what about the wheels?!  I understand that the stock wheels have been powder coated?  Aughh!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

...I DO think the seats in the BaT car look a little gaunt....

I would say that the 50 year old seats on my Z look to be in about the same condition as the seats on this green one...only my seats are black.  The 'sag' on the base portions is about the same. The backs are also slightly pressed in, in similar fashion.  The foam on mine is really starting to go though.  I get small crumbles on the carpet below the seat that are from the decaying foam.

I would almost push back on the seats being different.  Having re-upholstered several of these, I would say it is pretty dog gone difficult to get the rope in the same place seat after seat.  Also, not sure if the holes in the material at the factory were 'pre-drilled'.  These holes are not on the aftermarket covers so you just have to feel for it. There really is a lot of 'massaging' to do once the vinyl is over the foam.   As a result, the alignment with the rope may vary....I think.  Unfortunately my '70 is at he storage unit so no quick pics to verify here. ?

• Like 1

Hi , I have to say first, I am so impressed with this green / tan car ! Nothing can stop the bidding price  so high . 

I agree 50 year old aging , it has been deforming the seat sponge and vinyl.

I categorized seat like this ,

#1 10/69- late 1970 fat seat back ( just like the one on the right of the green BAT car )

#2 late 1970- mid 1971 slightly slim seat back ( just like the one on the left of the green BAT car )

( #2a has a seat belt hook on the seat back , #2b has a seat belt hook on the quarter window trim )

#3 mid 1971 and later slim seat back ( jute pad is used , also from late 1972 Flame Retardant vinyl is used ) 

I think this car is a good example of  #2 seat , if you google  “ KGF classic cars 71 240Z “ , you will see a super clean , original 240Z with a lot of pictures.

My question is , this 02/71 red car has exactly same condition of the seat on Left and right both . To my eyes , they looked #2 seats.  If the BAT green car ‘s left seat is just a deformed seat from #1 , why it looked the same as this red car ‘s seat ? 

Is it usual thing that 21000 or so miles deformed a seat back  like this ? 

And if so , why this red car has two deformed seat ? 

I think this red car’s seats are original , not deformed left nor right . If the left seat of this red car is deformed , it would looked different from the right seat . 

89AD5E3C-1FAA-4E36-8A92-2E475AD8D769.png

C2EA72E7-1C90-48D9-AE61-1D1020BAF117.png

D7F53F09-BA16-4986-A989-D9CC395A3CB2.png

4 hours ago, Zup said:

What???? :TRUCDEOUF:

I can't un-see that post Kats-----don't tell us you are serious!

The end of time must be nearer than I thought. 

Recently I found a Dino which I would really  love to buy in Europe  , so my Z hobby  is ending I think ( I hope ) .I feel I did enough for my Zs .  But selling all my cars seems not enough at all for buying the price of the Dino , maybe it is going to be a pipe dream ? I am just hoping currency exchanging rate will turn 

good for Japanese Yen in some day . But JPY going strong means economy of the world is having a big risk / crisis . In that situation , can I sell my cars ?? 

Chris , thanks for asking the pictures of the jack and tools , this green car still has a paper !! What a wonderful survivor it is . The tire stopper said “ 0 B “ , February 1970 , a little bit earlier than that of the car’s build date , but it is correct for this car and this is a good example of sometimes our cars have a little bit early components in our cars .

I noticed the wheel lug nut wrench , it has the teeth facing the same direction as the socket opening , the later ones are facing 90 degrees to the east . This wrench is the correct for this green car.

Kats

E80B6DED-CC88-4449-BB8C-C097A0D304E8.png

51017CF0-8446-4FEB-A092-CD1C28D27AB5.png

• Like 1

I saw a discussion about screws on the lower door trim . I have seen so many cars that have screws in person, countless.Also old magazines shows the screws are not rare thing , here are two pictures from magazines “ R & T April 1970 “ and “ Motor trend March 1971 “ . Looking at them , you can find the screws. 
And also one of the pictures shows a seat back which I call #2 slightly slim seat back which could be the one on the left of the green BAT car  ( looks like I am the only one who think so though  ) . This car in the picture could be a late 1970 model ,  a shiny chrome coat hanger , a non  louvre type map light , and a beautiful long leg stay for the rear view mirror tell us the car is a late 1970 model .

I haven’t seen the screws in very early cars like prototype , nor 1972 or later cars . So few of them in Japanese car . Mostly I saw it in the US 1969- 1970 cars .

I guess like this , 

designers didn’t expect having the screws on the door trim when they finished design work . That is why the screw never been given its part number .

But later on cars began to be exported , the door trim might get bent outward and loosened due to the heat / moisture in the middle of the Pacific Ocean , or the strong sun shine affects cars awaiting the transport track at the port . 
So corrective action would have been made by somewhere before departing the port , or the dealership .  Nissan shatai factory would be the least scenario where the screws attached, because I don’t think the factory assembly line would use  the screw which wasn’t indicated on the parts catalog .

How about this , I guess after  somewhere around in 1971 or 1972 , door trim securing clip could be upgraded ( positioning or number of use ) , or environment in the transportation ship would be upgraded, then the screws would became no use . 

Kats

564A5999-F34A-480D-9E50-4923BC73B991.jpeg

49F86C60-482D-4A78-8B87-A5F162C674BC.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 3

Hello Kats,

I think it is obvious that these screws were not installed by the factory.  Given the fact they are mounted at different positions I suggust you are right and they were installed by the dealer for a quick fix.   And the fact that not all cars had these screws support that suggestion.

None of my 69 cars had the screws, nor the cars between #600 and ViN #9300.    Around this VIN I have #3394, @3957 and #4318, but non of these car had holes in the doorcards or in the door itself.

• Like 1