IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

Yes, until about the late 60s it was not uncommon for import dealers to have left- overs re-titled as the next model year. I have a letter from Datsun headquarters outlining what models - at the time of the letter, if memory serves, 411, roadster, trucks - could be re-titled and how to go about it. All that changed when I became a Datsun mechanic in the spring of 1970. Now the dealers couldn't keep cars in stock or on the show room floor. Wise guy mechanics like me called the salesmen "order takers", heady times.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zspert said:

Yes, until about the late 60s it was not uncommon for import dealers to have left- overs re-titled as the next model year. I have a letter from Datsun headquarters outlining what models - at the time of the letter, if memory serves, 411, roadster, trucks - could be re-titled and how to go about it. All that changed when I became a Datsun mechanic in the spring of 1970. Now the dealers couldn't keep cars in stock or on the show room floor. Wise guy mechanics like me called the salesmen "order takers", heady times.

Interesting...  Different than now.  Thanks for that.

This car surely deserves a premium price.

The reason why this  car has a later seat back on the left side could be related to this car titled as a 71 , couldn’t it be ? The replacement could have done in the dealership , not done in Nissan Shatai factory.

While this car was sitting in the dealership , I would guess something happened to the driver’s seat then ordered a new seat back to the parts department . That would be an early 71 , in the factory the seat back was superseded to new , slim seat back .

Or sometime later , just swapped an original seat back with that later seat back .

This would be the best place to sell my cars . How can I  do it from Japan ?

Kats

Edited by kats

6 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Hey Kats!

I don't understand your comment about a later seat back.  What am I missing?  Please explain.

Hi Chris , I put overlay lines , the right  seat looked exactly an early one , much more width from side view . The left seat ‘s width is less than that of the right seat , it looked later  slim style from side view. 

The seat reclining dial is a easy part to distinguish , the left seat has the dial very close to the edge of the piping. On the other hand , the right seat has the dial much off set from the piping. The seat belt hook is located in the same way .

But I maybe wrong , correct me please . 

Kats

553995D3-11F8-4844-A6D1-B277BAD53511.jpeg

BC3F2BE3-A7AD-4553-A3B4-0C4AC7EF7327.jpeg

Edited by kats

Interesting observation, Kats. 

I wonder if this anomaly can be attributed to degrading of the underlying seat foam over nearly half a century.    That coupled with the driver's seat being primarily used  and the vinyl has possibly conformed to the foam beneath it.   Unfortunately, I can't test my hypothesis unless I can see the car firsthand and give the seats the Charmin squeeze test ?

Perhaps I'll create a GoFundMe account and have forum members enable me to place the winning bid on this gem, so I can commence with proving or disproving of my theory ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kats said:

This would be the best place to sell my cars . How can I  do it from Japan ?

What???? :TRUCDEOUF:

I can't un-see that post Kats-----don't tell us you are serious!

The end of time must be nearer than I thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1