IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Muscle cars from the 70's used to bring a lot more money than they do today, why, the cars themselves haven't changed, the only thing that has changed are peoples opinions of perceived worth.

Also, the buying demographic for those cars has aged into their 70s and is unloading and downsizing.  Transient collectables tend to lose value when the buyers/enthusiasts age out and younger collectors aren't interested.

Dennis

• Like 2

I really love this car , super clean tan interior , I have never seen such a beautiful, original tan seats , and other pieces. To keep it stay original is difficult if the owner wants to maintain the car better . This car has been taking care of incredibly. I want to see the jack and tire stopper if they have a matching date stamp on them . 

Kats

• Like 1

Never have understood the some cars with date stamps prior to 9/1970 are 71's.  Can someone explain it?  5/1970 is a 1970 car... it's gotta be.  Interesting how they used eBay to drum up buzz for the Bring a Trailer auction.  Violates their rules for sure and I'm sure will be taken down.  What a reference for paint markings!  Really astounding - this car.  Never seen anything like it.

Edited by inline6

13 hours ago, inline6 said:

Never have understood the some cars with date stamps prior to 9/1970 are 71's.  Can someone explain it?  5/1970 is a 1970 car... it's gotta be.  Interesting how they used eBay to drum up buzz for the Bring a Trailer auction.  Violates their rules for sure and I'm sure will be taken down.  What a reference for paint markings!  Really astounding - this car.  Never seen anything like it.

I also thought 5/70 was very early to be registered as a 1971, @87mj reminded me that it is not that uncommon, his being a 6/70 1971.  Here is a topic about this subject,

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/62269-just-bought-a-1970-240z-but-titled-as-a-1971/

Edited by CanTechZ

20 hours ago, inline6 said:

I agree that is difficult to see a 5/70 build date titled as a '71.  Back then transportation to the dealers was easily 3 - 4 months so the registration (title) date was subject to a blend of info from the dealers, and local and state procedures.  A 5/70 car likely arrived at a dealer either in August or September, right at the cusp of most model year changes.  My 12/70 car arrived at the dealer in late March.

44 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Anyhow...I Hoovered a lunchbag of pictures for my records. 

I love you Chris!  ? I did the same lol

Early Z's.... pics sorted by VIN and other interesting ones for restoration references...27th pictures are there too!

image.png

Hoover Bag:

71Gig ~ 61,000 files

image.png

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Back then transportation to the dealers was easily 3 - 4 months so the registration (title) date was subject to a blend of info from the dealers, and local and state procedures.  

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

This car we are discussing was  an East coast delivery / import.  Baltimore  That might mean that a boatload came through the Panama Canal.  Or.  It might have been railroaded across the country.  26th was built in November and delivered to Florida the following April.

I hear ya, but something has changed then, right?  I mean, now, a new car doesn't take as long to get to the dealerships, but it could sit for months without selling.  A new car made in 5/2019 that sits on the lot and doesn't sell until yesterday, is still a 2019 model.  Period.  Was it really different back then, such that when it sold, that is the year the car became?  Doesn't make sense to me.

I snagged a bunch of pictures of the paint marks in particular.  The car I am currently restoring isn't as early a VIN, but hey, these are some great reference pics.

3 hours ago, inline6 said:

I hear ya, but something has changed then, right?  I mean, now, a new car doesn't take as long to get to the dealerships, but it could sit for months without selling.  A new car made in 5/2019 that sits on the lot and doesn't sell until yesterday, is still a 2019 model.  Period.  Was it really different back then, such that when it sold, that is the year the car became?  Doesn't make sense to me.

Stuff like this is what drives the "Series 1" - "Series 2", blah blah discussions. Before 1973 EPA and safety requirements didn't dictate year model changes. Then in the USA for sure 73 and later cars were strictly driven by EPA and safety requirements. You will not see a factory 73 240z with original roundtop carbs or no 2.5 MPH front bumper followed in 74 with the 260z with additional EPA and safety changes.

Edited by w3wilkes

19 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I love you Chris!  ? I did the same lol

Early Z's.... pics sorted by VIN and other interesting ones for restoration references...27th pictures are there too!

image.png

Hoover Bag:

71Gig ~ 61,000 files

image.png

Wow, What a beautiful thing. Care to put your archive online?

Maybe one day. I have a web site but never seem to find time to add content. Work and other hobbies always seem to get in the way.

http://240260280.com/

http://240260280.com/Tech/

http://240260280.com/Docs/

http://240260280.com/Tech/Carbs/Weber/DCOE Theory Operation and Tuning.html

old stuff: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

I put most of the good stuff on this site. e.g. first Datsun sports car sold in the USA below.

first convertable.jpg

First Z's arrive in USA announced in papers:

Jacksonville April 30 1970.JPG

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1