IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

@jfa.series1 might know the answer?  I was thinking the "summer/winter" flap housings were the first but after a Google image search I proved myself wrong, once again. LOL

I think the heat riser was introduced somewhere around VIN 4,000 but please don't hold me to that.  That included the butterfly on the snorkel and the decal for summer/winter.  As to the timing for the rest of the decals I have no idea but suspect they started prior to the heat riser addition.  With his background in restorations, Mike McGinnis of Banzai - @zspert might have a much better handle on this.

• Thanks 1

Hoover posted some more pictures on the "original paint markings" thread.  Looking at them, I get the impression that the car has been worked on.  The exhaust system is new.  The brake master has been changed (the caps are wrong).  I'm surprised to see a 5/70 build with the flapper type air filter (flapper type filter housings had stickers).  Of course, the hubcaps are wrong.  I see a few other things that make me wonder about the "all original" boasting coming from what appeals to me as a typical internet Zcon.  It's a very nice car, but I have no appreciation for the rhetoric.  I actually hope someone does pay a gazillion bucks for it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 87mj said:

There is a guy 240zguild that shows up on BAT regularly that buys and resells z cars.  He has recently begun assigning numbers to the cars he sells. The most recent, he calls "guilded series 001" that he claims sold for 6 figures.  I don't understand what people see in his work that would warrant such silliness.

I could see this car fetching top dollar due to its low miles and originality.  I can MAYBE also see the Franklin Mint car selling for top dollar for it past history. But I cant understand why anyone would pay 6 figures for a modified car.  

Thoughts anyone???

My thoughts are that he's full of $^!#.  He seems to lack taste in cars and also has a very dodgy past. 

Hes got something going on with another guy who posts on there, they think they're the worlds best resource for all things s30.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, 87mj said:

There is a guy 240zguild that shows up on BAT regularly that buys and resells z cars.  He has recently begun assigning numbers to the cars he sells. The most recent, he calls "guilded series 001" that he claims sold for 6 figures.  I don't understand what people see in his work that would warrant such silliness.

It might a case of Shelby-envy.  Perhaps he'll show up at the next ZCon and offer to autograph glove box lids ?

• Haha 1

I agree with all of 26th-z comments, and that a 5/70 car should not have the air filter flapper snorkel system, which this car does not.  Chris, are you saying that you see the air filter flapper snorkel system on this car, or did you mis-speak?

I was excited to see all of the original yellow paint markings, the spring tension clamps and not wire clamps on the fuel hose connections to the fuel filter, a very original feature, and the very early master vac decal which no one to my knowledge, other than me, has reproduced, and I haven’t sold any.  

The hazard flasher switch is also missing the ON-OFF decal.  If this car had its original exhaust system, I think it could compete with the Franklin Mint car.  Just my take!

Edited by AZ-240z
  • Like 1

oh sorry.  It doesn't have the flapper.  It seems to be a very nice early car.  Somewhat shocking to see correct early parts in such nice shape.  Could use a new radiator overflow hose.  Greetings, zspert.

Edited by 26th-Z

23 hours ago, 87mj said:

I could see this car fetching top dollar due to its low miles and originality.  I can MAYBE also see the Franklin Mint car selling for top dollar for it past history. But I cant understand why anyone would pay 6 figures for a modified car.  

Thoughts anyone???

My point was what would make a modified 240z sell for 6 figures and who would do that other than the uninformed?  Usually in the classic car world, the less the car has been touched and the closer to stock it is, is what will demand top dollar such as this lovely green thing at the top of this post.  Not the customized cars.  That 6 figure custom car could easily be worth only 1/5 of what a buyer paid for it.

I could just imagine in a few years putting a car like that on craigslist and having a prospective buyer asking the seller why he wants north of $100k for a custom car and the seller responds "this is #001 guild car".  Then the buyer says "yea so what?". 

What would cause someone to buy into that?

o

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

What would cause someone to buy into that?

Perceived quality, perceived value, ego, how is the guy who spends 6 figures on a modified car any different than the guy who spends 6 figures on an original car? I see no difference at all between them, both of them are getting a car to admire and drive, both of them are presumably happy with there purchase regardless of whether someone else thinks they are uninformed or not.

If resale valve is the most important thing then I would argue you are in it for the wrong reason. Whether guys like to admit it or not, these cars we like to play with are just toys, they are not important or vital, we as a group are the ones that give them worth and take away that worth.

Muscle cars from the 70's used to bring a lot more money than they do today, why, the cars themselves haven't changed, the only thing that has changed are peoples opinions of perceived worth.

• Like 3