IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

9 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Yes, the rarity of the R brings the $$$ so it is not apples to apples. However, such a low mileage Z is also very rare so we will soon see its value.

Next on deck, it will be interesting to see what a made-in-69 HLS30 in good condition  will bring.

It is great to see all values rising!

It's a double edged sword! It's great if you're ready to cash out. Not so great if you want to drive them and enjoy them. Harder to insure and you have to start thinking like a Ferrari owner. Is it safe, is someone going to vandalize it or hit it in the parking lot. I sort of miss the "it's a cheap car" thing. It made it very low stress to "drive it like you stole it" and to park it anywhere. The flip side of rising prices is the availability of new reproduction parts that wouldn't exist if the cars didn't have the underlying value

• Like 2

I've been giving a lot of thought to this car and with the girlfriend off visiting with daughters I have a rare opportunity to chime in on a weekend. This is a VERY NICE Z indeed. It appears to me to be completely original, all 4 tie downs, except for the missing air filter housing decals. Two very positive, in my view, aspects. One, no add-on A/C. Two, It looks like it wasn't undercoated. Yes, your honor, I undercoated lots and lots of Datsuns of every stripe during my dealer days. Why not, we got paid 3 tenths of an hour labor for every one we coated and, in a perverted way, it was a bit of fun..

We're going to see more such Zs in the future due to a syndrome I call Aging Out and this car is a perfect example. Over the almost 40 years I've been in business I've been lucky to include in my customer base a large number of original owner cars. The owners of these cars are now almost to a man, no women in my group but I'm confident they exist, well into their 70s and beyond. In the last few weeks I've been contacted by a couple of these chaps or their relations about the best way to sell their Zs.  I've also heard from a reliable source of other such situations. No, I'm not going to tell anyone about the details as I keep such conversations private but I think you get my point. 

I don't remember why I did this but when I had one of these originals on my greasy hands I took lots of pictures and wrote lots of notes. I've been lucky to have restored a few unmolested cars and of course did the picture and note thing for those projects. I can assure you there is nothing neat and tidy about this info! I'm bringing this up to address a comment I read suggesting someone put all of the original info into some sort of book, print a lot of copies, put them up for sale and wait for the the big bux to roll in! As Rod Stewart sang, "shows how wrong you can be". I can't even convince customers of the importance of owning a factory service manual!

Yes, BAT is full of characters with nothing but time on their hands and the need to establish some sort of reputation as the definitive source of Z car info. There's even one character who has an extensive criminal record of fraud, OUCH! 

IMG_2319.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Was the black spray paint done at dealer?

Hi Blue , I think at the Nissan Shatai factory.

Kats

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/23900-datsun-240z-vs-fairlady-z432/?do=findComment&comment=488251

E4413D34-C2B3-4E28-BFB2-1D43FE549A00.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice Blue , here are some for you just in case .

The earliest seat , fat seat back . 

christoffel , I am bit disappointed ( just kidding ) that you were thinking my Z432 has 1972 seats because of the reclining mechanism when you got in my car ! As a side note , 1969-1970 Fairlady Z L and Z432 has the mechanism but , it doesn’t flip forward. Only for backward. So the mechanism cover is slightly different in the length of the top tab . 

Kats

82B6E68E-0378-4A3C-8B26-04D0A716920D.jpeg

2CF960A9-D6A7-45F3-9B9D-4AE9DBBB2D3B.jpeg

7CF8DCB1-818E-4191-B7EE-282CDB0D5059.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

I might now hold the record for the quickest 'Flagged As Not Constructive' comment on BaT. Those high-rolling 'portfolio collection' guys sure do take themselves seriously.

For the record, somebody asked when 240Zs started getting the splash pans. '1969' was apparently the wrong answer. Let's hope nobody asks what all those captive nuts are for...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, kats said:

christoffel , I am bit disappointed ( just kidding ) that you were thinking my Z432 has 1972 seats because of the reclining mechanism when you got in my car ! As a side note , 1969-1970 Fairlady Z L and Z432 has the mechanism but , it doesn’t flip forward. Only for backward. So the mechanism cover is slightly different in the length of the top tab . 

Kats

Kats,

Just to clarify, on the 1969-on Japanese market 'Deluxe' seats, what I was calling the 'Flip Forward Lever' - if you have the seat fully reclined, and then pull the lever UP, the seat back will flip forward on its own - right?

And if you are sitting in the seat and want to quick recline all the way back, you pull the lever up and lean back - right? 

The big rotary knob still controls incremental seat back angle independently of the lever - right?

Or am I wrong?

• Like 1

@Kats As far as this I was only working on early US cars. So I thougt the "Deluxe"seats were only from October 1971, because from that build date I saw them on US cars. Because of the pictures I saw here I learned that it was correct that my EU have the "Deluxe"seat mechanisms.   I was so impressed by your Z432 that I wasn't aware of any seat mechanism........      But you made my day bij telling me that the HLS EU cars have the most sporty suspension set up from all PS/HS and HLS cars!

• Like 1

@christoffel  if you have time to start going through the historical content on this site you will see and learn a great deal about these cars that you never realized, especially the fine details that Alan, Kats, Carl, Chris, MikeB and many others provide from their love, research, documentation, and connections.

Here is a link to help search the past content. Just substitute the key words:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site:classiczcars.com+seat+difference

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site:classiczcars.com+seat+difference&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Enjoy this post from @kats on the European set up!

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/57418-test-report-of-hls30q-z-europe-model-countermeasures-high-speed-stability/

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

@KatZ "This  PS30-00248 has a seat belt tag “ 4. 1970 “ , and the jack has a date stamp “ P. D. H “ ( means 1970 , April , 8th ) . I would like to see the jack of the BAT car much closer , I see “ P “ on the left , but it is not clearly seen , so I will wait until I get the clear shot."

Using letters for dates is interesting... I never knew about that.  How does the stamping indicate a day in the month after the 26th?  How does the 16th letter in the alphabet get assigned to 1970?

• Like 1