IGNORED

[2020] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

3 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

I bought the ZX nuts, so I'll use the old nuts which now have the peened areas cut off to seat everything and then swap them for the ZX nuts once I'm happy with the install. 

That's exactly what I did. I chucked up one of the old nuts in the lathe and turned off all the distorted threads and then used that nut as a "non-locking test nut" to make sure I could torque up the stub axle nice and tight without any binding. Then once I was convinced everything was OK, I took that nut off and replaced with the distorted thread version from the ZX and torqued it till my eyes bugged out.

I'd post pics of the nut in the lathe, but I think it's pretty self explanatory. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

That's exactly what I did. I chucked up one of the old nuts in the lathe and turned off all the distorted threads and then used that nut as a "non-locking test nut" to make sure I could torque up the stub axle nice and tight without any binding. Then once I was convinced everything was OK, I took that nut off and replaced with the distorted thread version from the ZX and torqued it till my eyes bugged out.

I'd post pics of the nut in the lathe, but I think it's pretty self explanatory. 

I cut the peened parts off with a Dremel.  Once the stub axle was out, the nut spun right on, so I know I didn't damage the threads on the stub axle and I know I got enough of the nut cut off with the Dremel.  

The only thing that went wrong was that my Dremel died halfway through cutting.  It gave me a good excuse to add to my Milwaukee cordless tool collection.  I won't have to fight the Dremel cord ever again.

• Like 1

If I had a lathe, I'd likely do the same.  I was a member of a local membership workshop, but like every other similar one around the country, they couldn't survive.  That was my access to a lathe, mill, powdercoating oven, shear and break.  ?

I did the same thing a few months ago. I had an older unit that had a USB in but no bluetooth. Recently installed one with bluetooth and cell phone link in my 1983 ZXT.  I ran the mic lead up the driver's side A-pillar under the molding, and clipped the mic onto the trim for the T-top .

The phone works OK up to about 50 MPH, but above that there's enough noise from wind, tires and the car in general that there's no point in answering a phone call - can't hear it well enough to chat. 

The other thing is that it's hard to find a 1-DIN radio with a display having big enough characters for my 69-year-old eyes to read it. The way they build those displays, they must think everyone wanting those radios has 16-year-old eyes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been off for a week now so my daily hygiene has dropped off dramatically. I do brush my teeth twice a day whether they need it or not. LOL

But you can literally smell my butt many feet away according to my gal. She says it smells like her panties. TMI I know but I like to amuse you good people when I can.

• Haha 1