IGNORED

FS5W71B Rebuild Thread - Tips tricks and discoveries!

zKars

I knew I could count on you guys. Of course! The boring head. And a coax? Looks complicated, but you need what you need, right?

off to the tooling store! Yahoo!

all this requires that my mill head fits down into the transmission case. Haven’t tried that yet....

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

Looking for trans parts? These guys have a decent selection. Even claim to have my shift fork. 

https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/fs5w71-fs5w71a-fs5w71c-fs5w71e-fs5w71g-fs5w71h/

Thanks to Aaron Heath on FB for pointing this out. I put out a plea for parts last night.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

Ok I have five transmissions apart in the shop. A 4 speed, Three 71B’S and a 71C.  This is getting out of hand. But I’m learnin’ lots.

Best of all is that the 3-4 shift fork from the C is perfect match to replace my bad 1-2 shift fork in the B!!!!!

Only the 3-4 C shaft is 16mm in the C, the others are 14, so don’t even need a bushing. The only thing you have to do is make roll pin hole in the B’s shift rod bigger to match the larger hole in the C fork. 

Now regarding the new fork mentioned above from transdistparts above, it likely will not work. The 1-2 shift selector C type is slightly larger than the 3-4, so the fork is too big. They aren’t listing a 3-4 fork replacement.

06411F7A-4AE2-467A-AEF0-18F74AB651E6.jpeg

1 hour ago, zKars said:

And for the Cap’t, ...

Nice! The tooling store works fast for you!

I'm guessing you already had the boring head, but just kinda forgot about it? MT3 spindle on the mill?  Make sure you have the cutter in the right way... The way you have it now your gonna have to run in reverse. You have a back-gear on the mill?

And the co-ax indicator isn't a top priority piece of tooling, but it sure is nice when you get to use it. You could just mount a traditional indicator in a collet in the spindle and spin that. The co-ax indicators are nice because you can keep the dial facing forward and don't need to peek around back to get the reading when the spindle is halfway around or at 270 degrees.

So today I go to play with my new co-ax center finding thingy after drilling a nice 2-7/16 hole in a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum plate..

Get the co-ax, chuck it in my arbor, attach an indicator arm, move the table around a bit, start to move the indicator arm a bit to see what the dial gauge is saying, and.....

It doesn't work. The needle never so much as budges when you move the center shaft in and out..... There is a pin I'd have to punch out to disassemble, but figure that will end my ability to return it.

Back in box to Amazon with a return slip. 

Got what I paid for again..... sigh.....

Order a better one and wait for tomorrow to see if the quality gods are on side or not

Edited by zKars