IGNORED

Headlight Buckets - Left or Right...?

Tirnipgreen

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

image.png

Maybe there is a Dorman number for these out there somewhere. $5 US a piece plus $25 US Shipping makes it a little ridiculous to buy from Z Car Depot. That's like $60 Cdn by the time it arrives.

Quick search came up with these, to bad dimensions are not given,

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000COCRTG/ref=s9_acsd_otopr_hd_bw_b9z6UiB_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A1IM4EOPHS76S7&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-11&pf_rd_r=3619FKSF7MXV9C8QYT1F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ba175af9-e223-573b-94f2-9c5d6b0f7d0b&pf_rd_i=9148100011

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-3184-42117.aspx

Must be a widespread disturbance in the headlight mounting related force. I'm dealing with this as well today. I plan on using M6 insert nuts to replace that plastic nut nonense. My dilemna at the moment is how to give the bolt friction with the threads in the insert so it stays put. I could use a spring like on the SU or most DCOE idle screws I suppose but I'm going to try powder coating the bolts and see if increasing the OD with the plastic coating adds the friction I so badly wish for.  So much for "doing away with the plastic" nonsense I guess.... 

I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW, the Dorman part referenced above mounts in a square hole. Easy enough to create with a file from the existing 8mm hole. Would be a slick solution if it works

Edited by zKars

19 minutes ago, zKars said:

Must be a widespread disturbance in the headlight mounting related force. I'm dealing with this as well today. I plan on using M6 insert nuts to replace that plastic nut nonense. My dilemna at the moment is how to give the bolt friction with the threads in the insert so it stays put. I could use a spring like on the SU or most DCOE idle screws I suppose but I'm going to try powder coating the bolts and see if increasing the OD with the plastic coating adds the friction I so badly wish for.  So much for "doing away with the plastic" nonsense I guess.... 

I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW, the Dorman part referenced above mounts in a square hole. Easy enough to create with a file from the existing 8mm hole. Would be a slick solution if it works

Could you try teflon tape to increase the OD before powder coat?

Edited by siteunseen

Since I was in on this thread I might as well throw in another .02 cents.

The ones from ZCD look exactly like the ones from Thailand only more money. IMO. ($21 shipped for 6 with screws. or 3 sets for $12)  The screws look like flat heads but the plastic parts look like the correct shape. I love the ad too "Not Taiwan or China Product" Looks legit with 17000+ feedback and 99.6% pos.

The Dorman ones look more like the 280ZX ones, again only looking at the pic's from the Thailand eBay ones. (JMO again)

3D printing might be an option, I just have not used anything 3D'ed yet so I really can't say much about the finished product. worth a shot if you can use the primer at a library like stated above.

I know some FB peeps were making the inspection lid clips from polyurethane by making a silicon mold which might work too, but I am unfamiliar with that process as well. 

I tried removing some from old rusty headlight buckets but they usually broke in the process. Those things really grip in there. 

I was lucky to find this set of buckets with all of those intact. just a little clean up am I'm all set. I still would like to have some spares for down the road. 

• Like 1

Cognilio or whatever his name is on eBay only ships by signature envelope to Canada. He got burned with shipping issues before so the shipping costs to Canada are $65....!
I have asked him to ship other items before and his costs are too rich for my blood.

11 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Cognilio or whatever his name is on eBay only ships by signature envelope to Canada. He got burned with shipping issues before so the shipping costs to Canada are $65....!
I have asked him to ship other items before and his costs are too rich for my blood.

Yeah that's the same eBay'er, It's $25.85 US (USPS) That's like $33 CN (if my math is right) to ship to you from WA. So still spendy if I were to get some and send them to you, but not as bad. I would do that if you wanted to get some. Assuming he does not jack up the shipping to me. LOL The pieces would run $3.50 per set to me if his ad is true.