IGNORED

The blue 510

grannyknot

I was doing some cleaning of the dash switches today and stumbled upon fiber optics, from the 70's.  I had no idea.

These are the headlight and wiper/washer switches, the aluminum cylinder is the light box, I only noticed it because the knobs were off and the headlights were on.  It would have to be the darkest night to see those knobs illuminated so maybe I'll pop a bright LED in there and wake them up.

IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0617.JPGIMG_0619.JPGIMG_0621.JPGIMG_0624.JPGIMG_0625.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the car up on the rotisserie, I had to make the mounting brackets twice because I thought the center of gravity was higher up than it really is.  I'm going to bend up and install all new gas and brake lines now before the paint is done, I learned my lesson on the last car.

It's not too bad underneath, mostly it just needs to be taken down to bare steel again,  I can raise the rotisserie a few more inches to clear the roof if I need to but this position with the rain gutter touching the floor gives the whole thing a firmer feel to work on.

IMG_0702.JPGIMG_0700.JPGIMG_0681.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Namerow said:

It already looks pretty clean.  A far cry from the usual undercoated mess.

Pretty happy about that but then it was only on the road for 8-10 yrs, the other 40 yrs it has been sitting in one dry garage after another.

Something that is interesting is, this rotisserie I bought was built and used once for a 240Z resto and the length is almost the same within a few inches of the bumper mounting holes for the 510.  I wonder if 240's and 510's were on the same assembly line together and both using similar cradles?

• Like 1

The brake & gas lines are done, I widened the exhaust pipe hole in the rear cross member and the Ermish Racing exhaust pipes arrived as well as the DBX Flowmaster muffler.  I bought the DBX separately because I've used them before and I think they have richer sound than the Super HP that Ermish sells.

I was ordering a few more rubber parts from http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-510-parts.html

that I missed on my first order and notice the Roll Center Adjusters/ Bump Steer Spacers they sell, they're $35 per set!

That's a 1/3rd the price of everyone else, I ordered a set and they are quality pieces, 10.9 grade bolts and they fit perfectly.

So there is no more avoiding it, time to put the mask and ear protection on and start making a mess.

IMG_0727.JPGIMG_0729 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0735 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0738 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0732 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I was ordering a few more rubber parts from http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-510-parts.html

Thanks for the update.  That's going to be a great little car.

I am in deep envy of your rotisserie set-up.  It just makes things so much easier.

I'd forgotten all about this vendor.  I wish they'd clean up their website by eliminating all of their, 'No Longer Available' listings.  It may have made sense ten years ago, but now it's just annoying.  'I don't care about what you used to have in stock.  Just tell me what you have to sell now.'