IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

Okay, I finally got around to measuring the endplay of my crankshaft. Work has been crazy busy but I got sometime today in the garage. This is the first time doing this so I hope I did it correctly. I’m measuring .003” of endplay on this crank. After that I pushed the crank as forward as possible and then torqued the main caps down to 35 ft/lbs. I made a video measuring the endplay. If you see something wrong let me know.
I’m hoping to get the pistons installed next week. Goal is to have the motor finished before Santa arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yeah, I would agree with that .003". What is the spec?

Books says .002” to .007”. I don’t understand the second part where is says limit is .012”. I guess normal is .002-.007. After .012 you have a problem?

Mine is .003”, on the tighter side but in the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkca1c48d5c85b8ef0aea3770b1d31497d.jpg

Thirded. (or fourthded?) On the low end of the spec range. What number was it your machinist recommended? I know you told me, but I don't remember what he said.

Glad the indicator survived the trip. Always a little apprehensive shipping measuring equipment.

And don't forget that you'll likely have to grind the ring gaps. Make sure you're ready for that!

• Like 1

So the machinist said he likes to see .005”.
The indicator worked great. I caught my 12 yr old son treating it like a pogo stick and gave him an earful. He was the cameraman on the video. He has zero interest in cars. I’m tying to get him to be interested in something other that anything attached to a screen.
He thinks the Datsun is really cool but he has no interest in helping me fix it up. I told him when I’m pushing up daisies it will be your car. When I first showed him the car It time he asked where the infotainment system was. Oh....geez!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk