IGNORED

What is this hole??

toastedboy54

14 minutes ago, toastedboy54 said:

Maybe are the holes supposed to be there......? It’s an N42 head of that helps

No. That does not help. Those holes are not supposed to be there!   :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, toastedboy54 said:

I wish the last owner would have said something about this... “just plug the gas in and she will go”

LOL!! He's right. Plug the gas in and she will go.

Until all the coolant leaks out, it overheats, and seizes the motor!  But it could be a great ride until that point!!

LOL!! He's right. Plug the gas in and she will go.
Until all the coolant leaks out, it overheats, and seizes the motor!  But it could be a great ride until that point!!

Ok one last dumb question can use caulking to seal it or even weld it shut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, jonbill said:

Yes you could weld it or even tap it to the nearest thread size and put a short price of threaded rod in with rtv on the threads and then grind it flush.

Thats a good idea. Could use a bolt then cut the head off flush. Don't thread it in too far or you could block up the passage. Welding would be harder without pulling the head and because of contamination

9 hours ago, toastedboy54 said:

Ok one last dumb question can use caulking to seal it or even weld it shut?

At 15 yo, I dont think you can have dumb questions. Better to ask then mess something up.  Between the members here we have made most of the mistakes,  some of them twice. No need for you to repeat them. Welcome aboard!

The right way to plug that hole would probably be welding, but it wouldn't be the cheapest. Other options?

Carefully (and not deeply) drill it out to the closest thread size and Loctite a plug in. Something like this:
P1150310.JPG

Then cut off the excess and file flush:
P1150348.JPG

Cleaning it up really really well and then putting some JB weld in the hole might work too.

Special heads and cooling pipes for racing in early 70's. The S20 also had an external cooling pipe.  The later I6 Nissan engines also had this.
In theory, one could drill holes in stock head and fab a pipe.
I would do it if racing.

Well I most likely won’t be racing so I like to idea of threading it and stuffing a bit of ready rod down it