IGNORED

What engine do I have?

Michael.Reitsma

13 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Nope, its a 2.8 liter motor but you would need to break it down to know what you really need. Might need pistons, might not. Might need standard rings, might not

I already have to rebuild the motor and bore it out. The previous owner was a complete twat and cut a hole in the hood to fit a different intake manifold and carburetor that poked out of the hood. What takes the cake is that the carb wasn't covered off so it rained into it and the rain here as an insane amount of dust and calcium in it. I'm going to end up taking it to my local napa and having it completely checked before a pull a trigger and buy the rebuild kit. 

2 hours ago, Michael.Reitsma said:

I'm going to end up taking it to my local napa and having it completely checked before a pull a trigger and buy the rebuild kit. 

That's not a bad idea.  Consider just buying an unmolested secondhand motor though, if you want to avoid a PO's mistakes.  These engines can go high miles before needing any work.  There are still many engines out there that haven't been opened since they were sealed at the Nissan factory.  You could buy a whole car and probably come out ahead of fixing a PO's mistakes.

36 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

That's not a bad idea.  Consider just buying an unmolested secondhand motor though, if you want to avoid a PO's mistakes.  These engines can go high miles before needing any work.  There are still many engines out there that haven't been opened since they were sealed at the Nissan factory.  You could buy a whole car and probably come out ahead of fixing a PO's mistakes.

I mean to be honest I got the car for 14 dollars so either way I go it's not terrible. 

20191008_173812.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael.Reitsma said:

I got the car for 14 dollars

Nice car for that price..   it has a big hole in the hood but who cares! If you sell the Z of the hood you make a profit hahaha !! 

BTW... your name sounds very Dutch?  You (or your family)  have Dutch Roots? 

Edited by dutchzcarguy

8 hours ago, Michael.Reitsma said:

The previous owner was a complete twat 

Totally. 

http://datsunzgarage.us/

Here is a good place to find some common tried and true modifications if that's what you're into.  I just did the P79 head modification on my 1982 F54 engine block.  I'm using stock fuel injection for now on my '80 ZX until I can spring for programmable EFI and cam,  But with your carb setup, there are a lot more options.  After an initial oil consumption scare after reassembly, I drive it almost every day. 

Edited by Reptoid Overlords
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Nice car for that price..   it has a big hole in the hood but who cares! If you sell the Z of the hood you make a profit hahaha !! 

BTW... your name sounds very Dutch?  You (or your family)  have Dutch Roots? 

yeah definitely not a bad price. Yeah thats where the old carb sat ?‍♂️ It is! im third gen born in the states. 

2 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Totally. 

http://datsunzgarage.us/

Here is a good place to find some common tried and true modifications if that's what you're into.  I just did the P79 head modification on my 1982 F54 engine block.  I'm using stock fuel injection for now on my '80 ZX until I can spring for programmable EFI and cam,  But with your carb setup, there are a lot more options.  After an initial oil consumption scare after reassembly, I drive it almost every day. 

Yeah im looking into going FI just for the tuning ability. Eventually I plan on throwing a turbo on and making it a track car. 

A normally aspirated motor is more forgiving when it comes to getting the tune right. Turbos don't tolerate lean-ness very well. A nice torquey motor in an S30 chassis is a lot of fun. These chassis are really only suitable for so much power with out a lot of work and extra metal