IGNORED

"The Orange"

motorman7

42 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

Looking good,  do you keep an inventory of what goes where, referring to fasteners?.

Yes, for the fasteners and their respective hardware, I have tons of pics.  I usually take the pics after I remove the part.  I primarily focus on the bolt head number, shape and length so I can get the right part in the right spot.  

45 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

I see the horn backs and mounting brackets, are the horn fronts being painted olive green?  Also did you have to sandblast the horn backs or just wire wheel them, mine are quite rusty. Just inquiring as I will doing mine soon. Soon meaning, sometime in the next couple of years, LOL.

For the front portion of the horns, I will paint them the olive green color as you mentioned.  For the back side and base, I just did a light wire wheel to remove any heavy rust and paint overspray (from previous paint work).  The plater puts these in a chemical bath prior to plating which removes the remaining rust and most crud.  It will not remove paint and does not harm rubber.  The inside guts of the horn back turn out fine in the plating process.  

Typically, I do not sand blast parts that I will plate.  I find it produces a bit duller finish because of the light texture. I use the wire wheel a lot.  It is pretty much a work horse on my restorations.

Also, the base mounting part of the horn should be silver zinc, however, I already sent that out.  Fortunately, I have some spares in the silver here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I remember reading so where that the olive green on the horns, seat runners and heater fan motor was a kind of zinc plating, do you know if that is true?

I will have to look a little closer at it.  It comes off fairly easy with the wire wheel which makes me think it is paint.  Removing a zinc coating definitely takes a lot more effort.

On 11/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, Zaspen said:

Great thread!  Possible stupid question but are the front lower control arms interchangeable?  They look the same but are different PNs in the parts book and one has a stamped "B" and the other a "Y".

Good question.  I looked at the front lower control arms and they both looked exactly the same.  Also, did not see any stampings on them.  I though the T/C attach points might be different but even those are the same.  The only thing that looked different between the two parts was the spot welds.

I found the markings by accident when I was testing out some new media I got for my blasting cabinet. I had another pair from a parts car and I blasted them and saw the same B and Y markings. I agree that they look exactly the same. 

3 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Maybe they came from Nissan with the bushings already installed? Since the bushings are asymmetric in the control arm, there would be one for each side of the car 

This is true.  The bushing are definitely offset on these.  Makes sense, good catch