IGNORED

"The Orange"

motorman7

12 hours ago, TMagda said:

Great progress. Looks like a solid car.

Yes, car is really in decent shape.  I would bet the 88K miles on the speedo are the actual miles on the car based on it's condition.

Took the glass out this evening along with the door panels and attachments. 

Miguel gave me the supports to mount the body on.  I will remove the suspension in the next couple days and have the car on rollers ready for paint.  Should have this to Miguel by the middle of next week.

DSCF8606.JPG

DSCF8607.JPG

DSCF8609.JPG

DSCF8610.JPG

DSCF8613.JPG

DSCF8614.JPG

DSCF8616.JPG

DSCF8617.JPG

DSCF8619.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Orange said:

Do you know whether the electrical wiring is original?

All the electrical wiring, except for the aftermarket stereo and speakers, is original and in very good condition.  It is also very clean which makes it nice to work on.  I will double check, but pretty sure the wiring for the original radio, antenna and speakers are in tact. 

The aftermarket stereo was tapped into the ignition wiring for power and seems to have been done well.  Wires were nicely secured and routed which is a sign of a good installation.  

Just now, TMagda said:

Are you rebuilding the motor?

Yes.  Typically, I will have the cylinders honed and install new bearings (Rod and Crank) and piston rings.  I will also have the valves and new seats done on the head, plus whatever else it may need; surfacing, welding, etc.  Will also replace the chain tensioner among other things

Sometimes the cylinders need to be bored which would require new pistons, however, based on the low miles, I am betting the machine shop just recommends a hone. 

The only funky thing on the motor was the front crank pulley is a little loose.  Seems like the key that holds it in place is either very worn or not installed.  The pulley rotated about 5-10 degrees while installed on the crank.  Will address that issue once the body is off to the paint shop. 

Continued parts removal and now have the car just about completely stripped and ready to ship off to Miguel.  I will clean off the remaining weather stripping and do a bit more general clean-up on the body this Tuesday and then have this transported to his shop on Wednesday.

Miguel insisted that I install the 'Low Rider' 5 inch rims with solid rubber tires on the body in preparation for paint shop delivery.  You can see them in the pictures. I thought the car would look better with some 16 inch Panasports, but he likes these wheels.  I did veto the hydraulics, however.....just kidding ?

Actually, the stands work out great and it was nice to be able to assemble them on the car at my place.  That way I get to keep all of the suspension and fasteners in order.  

The fuel pump is interesting.   It is a different model than the Blue 73 I just did.  I should do a bit more research on this.

The differential looks like it spent some time at the bottom of the sea.  Actually, it is just a lot of dirt.

DSCF8642.JPG

DSCF8624.JPG

DSCF8625.JPG

DSCF8627.JPG

DSCF8628.JPG

DSCF8632.JPG

DSCF8633.JPG

DSCF8639.JPG

DSCF8640.JPG

DSCF8637.JPG

DSCF8644.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 2

Here are a couple pics from the shop.  Went over the car with Miguel and discussed the plan with the body.  Ironically, he said the body looks pretty reasonable with rust in the typical areas which was good to hear.  However, the floor was not as nice as I had thought.  Apparently the nice flat floor is new and was welded in on top of the existing floor.   Will know more once the Dynamat is removed from the drivers and passenger floor and the car comes back from sandblasting.

In some of the earlier pics that were posted, you can see where the original undercoating was removed (It's very thick)  and the newer area is thinly coated.

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

z4.jpg

z3.jpg

Edited by motorman7
  • Sad 1

Disassembled all of the suspension components today.  Most of this will be sent out for powder coating.  Will look nice when it comes back. 

Got both the spindle pins out.  As always, one was pretty easy to remove and is probably re-usable.  The other took a lot of pounding to remove as you can see in the pics.  Probably won't be using that short extension anymore.

Same thing with the front suspension lower arm, one bushing came out pretty easy, the other was a challenge.  (wasp nest included)

Not sure why this happened to the front crank key, but definitely will replace this part.  I am thinking that the pulley bolt was not torqued which led to the key being deformed.  Interesting, first time I have seen that. 

And yes, that is a wood screw 'securing' the manifold to the head.  Probably just need to tap the hole so I can put in the correct fastener here. 

DSCF8663.JPG

DSCF8665.JPG

DSCF8667.JPG

DSCF8654.JPG

DSCF8656.JPG

DSCF8658.JPG

DSCF8660.JPG

DSCF8673.JPG

DSCF8666.JPG

DSCF8668.JPG

DSCF8669.JPG

DSCF8672.JPG