IGNORED

Timing chain guide

Dave WM

Maybe the non stop running could have somehow created vibration enough to fatigue the metal? oh more info, no overheating at all, good oil pressure the whole trip. Never let it run low on oil, burns about 1Q every 1000 miles, I would top up the oil at every fill up (approx. 300 miles) adding a few oz of oil each time.

Edited by Dave WM

Definitely weird. Would be more confident in a repair if we knew definitively knew what really happened.

That tight side guide is normally under such low stress. I'm having a hard time understanding how a worn chain could cause that failure. That side should always be tight, regardless if the chain is worn or not. Maybe it's in there slapping around side to side and hit some harmonic. Slapping against that guide and setting up some resonance until it broke the mount.

Regardless... Let's not do that again. Ever.

Just to safe about terminology, You mean this timing gash right?  If so then yes.  The picture I attached was taken 2 weeks ago during re-assembly of my engine. 

It has 2 links which are darker than the rest of them to align with corresponding indicators on the cam/crank sprockets/gear.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Cool. Those are available all over the place for cheap.

And you said it definitely has the timing gashes on the back of the gear?

TimingMARK.jpg

TimingMARK2.jpg

I am all set for the chain, got the TDC checked, found the two bright links on my existing setup, on over the #1 on the cam sprocket the other over the dimple on the crank sprocket (3 o clock). I confirmed my TDC with a dial indicator held in the #1 hole while I cranked on the crank bolt put back in the crankshaft. I was reading the Datsun book, I see they recommend some gasket sealant around the water holes on the block to cover, I assume the rest is not the much of an issue. I was going to do that around the oil holes to and from the pump as well. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get as much of the old gasket scraped off, one of the advantages I suppose of not having parts is I tend to spend more time prepping and cleaning. The v notch was directly over the timing mark on the camshaft retainer, so I assume my OE chain was no stretched at all, but after seeing all that gouging I made me worry hence the new chain. That and the fact that I don't really know what went wrong so replace it all...

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1