IGNORED

Timing chain guide

Dave WM

ok I can pick up the kit from oreilly tomorrow at 11:00, think I will go check it out and if seems good quality go that route. Somewhere I read that some kits do NOT have the V cut for setting timing, clearly I want that.
I got a timing kit from ITM engine components. It has the notch for aligning timing and the two different colored links for aligning to the marks on the cam/crank sprockets.

Just to throw a name out there that has everything you need. I'm sure there's plenty of others.

Sent from my Coolpad 3310A using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Woof. That's not pretty. Would be really interesting to figure out exactly what happened with that.

Did the mounting tabs crack off first and then the guide got pulled into the chain?
Or did the guide get snagged by the chain somehow and when it got pulled in, the mounting tabs snapped.

Maybe the mounting bolts came loose and it was in there flopping around until it got snagged. And then the snag snapped the tabs.

So your tensioner shoe was still in the hole? It didn't pop out, right?

And for replacement timing sets, it was probably me that mentioned some of them have the timing gashes on the rear and some of them don't. I was talking about it in Av8ferg's thread here:

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/62852-l28-from-82-zx-teardown/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-584389

tensioner was still in, the bolts that hold on the guide were still in and tight. Mystery.

I’d go with the Japanese one.

What happened to the bolts from the tensioner? Did you find them? How about the timing chain cover, any damage or witness mark on it?

It’s amazing the motor ran almost flawlessly after that, what a testament to the durability of these engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

I got a timing kit from ITM engine components. It has the notch for aligning timing and the two different colored links for aligning to the marks on the cam/crank sprockets.

Thanks for that. There are plenty of ITM kits on the web, but I could never find a pic of the back of the timing gear. The pics were always the front side.

So what was the kit number you got? Was it the ITM 053-90400? 

So far, from pics I've seen...

TRW S462 has the marks.
Beck Arnley 025-0266 has the marks
You say ITM has the marks.

Melling does not have the timing marks. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Just to throw a name out there that has everything you need. I'm sure there's plenty of others.

Will stop by oreily tomorrow and take a look at what the have.

Spent some time cleaning off the old paper gasket from the block, stuffed some paper towels material in the pump holes of the block to keep any trash from getting in there. Degreasing the cover now, just to make it less of a mess to handle, will make sure to scrape the paper gasket off of it as well (care not to gouge the aluminum). No evidence of any damage to the cover on the inside.

Edited by Dave WM

Thanks for that. There are plenty of ITM kits on the web, but I could never find a pic of the back of the timing gear. The pics were always the front side.
So what was the kit number you got? Was it the ITM 053-90400? 
So far, from pics I've seen...
TRW S462 has the marks.
Beck Arnley 025-0266 has the marks
You say ITM has the marks.
Melling does not have the timing marks. 
When I get back home ill check.

He said the bolts were still there and tight. The tensioner snapped right off the bolts.

I think his post and my question were posted at almost the same time.

The only thing I can think of is the chain caught the edge of the guide somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see how the chain can become loose on the tight side. So unless somehow the tensioner can effect the tight side, the only thing I can think of is if the tensioner got hung up. let the chain run loose, it somehow snags the guide. Of course that presupposed the tight side can somehow become loose.