IGNORED

Timing chain guide

Dave WM

its about 3 years old, I will prob replace it since I have a new one. the old one has just the tinyest about of radial play. I could see some evidence of weeping from the bottom hole.

In that case it’s a no brainer. I’m looking forward to a picture of what you find behind the timing chain cover and the fact that this failure occurred early in the trip . Honestly, I was impressed you drove the car from Orlando to Colorado. Did you get a lot of people inquiring about the car on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here you go, posting up a video soon.

I was planning to just replace the broken piece, but since I don't know what happened, maybe I should pop for the whole setup. I see there is the cheap one and then the japan ones on the Z stores.

100_1765.JPG

100_1768.JPG

Edited by Dave WM

2 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

In that case it’s a no brainer. I’m looking forward to a picture of what you find behind the timing chain cover and the fact that this failure occurred early in the trip . Honestly, I was impressed you drove the car from Orlando to Colorado. Did you get a lot of people inquiring about the car on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a lot of fun, good way to see the USA. I would do it again tomorrow, in fact one of the trips I want to take is up thru the Yukon to Alaska.

• Like 1

Not really sure why It failed, looked like the top mount just fractured, but I cant see how that could happen. Maybe just metal fatigue? not a materials expert here.

I did nothing around the timing chain for the T stat housing recently, and the problem seemed to happen at least 3000 miles into the trip. I have good oil pressure (3/4 of the 90 psi gauge at 3k), so I assume the tensioner was working well, but if for some reason it did not apply enough tension could that allow the chain to whip and maybe cause a cascade failure? just wondering if anyone has seen a fail like in the photo.

Edited by Dave WM

Woof. That's not pretty. Would be really interesting to figure out exactly what happened with that.

Did the mounting tabs crack off first and then the guide got pulled into the chain?
Or did the guide get snagged by the chain somehow and when it got pulled in, the mounting tabs snapped.

Maybe the mounting bolts came loose and it was in there flopping around until it got snagged. And then the snag snapped the tabs.

So your tensioner shoe was still in the hole? It didn't pop out, right?

And for replacement timing sets, it was probably me that mentioned some of them have the timing gashes on the rear and some of them don't. I was talking about it in Av8ferg's thread here:

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/62852-l28-from-82-zx-teardown/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-584389