IGNORED

Pikes Peak trip!

Dave WM

I have a nice video of traveling thru the Ozark mountains including a tunnel pass, will post up later. Been working on the radio, just needed a spritz of contact cleaner on the switch. I tried cycling it several times, but no joy, is not a self cleaning type. I have a LOT of maintenance and other stuff I will get to now, I did not want to do it before since I was not sure when I could get off from work and did not want the Z down in the middle of something. Nothing critical just stuff I want to do, like the dash, bump stops, rear wheel bearings (they seem fine but what the heck), vapor line (rusted shut), etc...

That is right about where the engine gave out. was tough making that multi point turn to get down. I would have liked to try it again with the filter off, but by then my nerves were shot.

The trip was great, sleep in car, drive  if not sleeping. Stopped at Walmart/McD for food and drink and clean up. Had a great shot of a Cricket pumping crude, next to a cow, next to a solar panel, next to a giant electric turbine wind mill.

So you get your greenhouse gas (cow fart), carbon fossil fuels, off set by carbon credits for wind and solar. all in one little square of land. I cant imagine trying to do his taxes. The windmills in Kansas were a hoot. I drove thru some little hipster town just outside of the pikes peak park. Best part was just being on the road. No phones, no emails, no work issues, just me the z and the road. felt like Kowalaski, just needed Super soul to keep me company.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 3

really just wanted to get away from work/phones/email, getting old figured got to get this done sooner that later. Always wanted to do a road trip, and figured it would be a good test of the Datsun to see if I have it in good running condition. 800+ miles per day seemed like a good test. I like old cars that I can understand and are easy to fix, and I don't feel the need for all the modern stuff that new cars have, so less to worry about going wrong on a long trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalJim said:

Dave, what kind of gas mileage did you get?  Did it vary much between your driving through the Southeast and your driving along the front range of the Rockies?  Just curious.

I really don't know was not paying much attention. I just filled up anytime I got near about 1/3. I can prob get a gross estimate from my visa car bills. If I can do that I will post back. I did use ethanol free when I could get it, but most of the time it was better grades of gas, not that the car needed high octane, I just got it cause I figured it may have less ethanol. I never noticed any difference in the way the car drove.

Edited by Dave WM

Thanks Dave.  I was just thinking about your car probably not having altitude compensation, same as my car.  Perhaps our cars need it to operate efficiently over a wide range of altitudes.  My first thought about how to see if there was validity to my thought was that maybe it would show up as a noteworthy gas mileage change over a range of altitudes.