IGNORED

L28 from 82 ZX teardown

Av8ferg

But a set of brass core plugs and give them to the machinest. I used Sealed Power I think?

This will keep you awake tonight...

cylinder piston ring types have different honing/hatching recommendations. I bought chrome faced molly and it's different than steel. Something else to research. It never ends when you get bit by the Z. LOL

There are fairly simple things that people do for minor improvements.  Paint the inside of the block with glyptal to seal it and any casting sand that might still be there, and for quicker oil drainback (after you have it hot-tanked).  Clean up the coolant passages of casting flash with a grinder (before you have it hot-tanked).  Apparently there can be quite a bit.  Smooth the crankshaft weights so they don't hang on to oil.  Balance things, generally.  The "How to Modify" book is worth a look for ideas.

Since you have time.

Thanks ZH. I have the book and will do some of those things but not go crazy. These engines run pretty darn good stock. So far the engine is in good shape, probably would have gone a many more miles than I’d ever drive it. All the carbon will be nice to clean up as I’m told they can become relative hot spots and start degrading performance.
I plan to send the block, crank and head next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, pulling crank now. I decided to label with a paint pen after wiping the areas with denatured alcohol. My kids have a habit on moving crap in my garage. They’d be sure to mix them up while I’m on a work trip.

bbbb361cf4447db8a01106c9551f5bae.jpg
fbac91035022ad0d7c49daa6ee1049ec.jpg

Almost got all the freeze plugs out, except the front and back ones. They don’t want to move.
There appears to be a bunch of rust in the engine behind all the plugs I pulled. Behind the coolant drain plug is was packed full of debris.
This block needs a nice hot tank to clean all this up.
Probably need the shop to remove front and rear drain plugs. c3c1e7582109ebb2d19659fb10fc3673.jpg
4bd97f3675f3bf5f90721bd4d406f3bd.jpgf8f3f8c85b7bf23b882676c6589a0bfd.jpg
c7b8c1892b02c4bc54f5506ba0b191b8.jpg

They do serve as a high pressure "path of less resistance".

I've read on here where someone romped on their Z before the thermostat opened and one blew out. I've seen one that was pushed out of a water filled frozen block on an old pickup of my Dad's.

They're the duct tape of the liquid cooled motor. Started out as one thing but ended up useful as others.

I ruined an f54 trying to get that rear plug out. Drilled a small hole in it to thread a screw in to pull on with some vise grips. It's so close to #6 I drilled through the soft plug and before I could stop I'd drilled all the way into the bore. Stupid, stupid, stupid or maybe 1beer, 2 beers, 10 beers?

I can see that happening without beers. I drilled a hole to put in a small bolt, screwed the self tapping bolt in with my drill and almost hit the bore. Whew....had to flash a light in there to verify I didn’t hit it.

That plug is in there good. I need to have a professional remove it. I tore it up good trying. 4f3e2664a8d9361a1cd79ffd8951842b.jpg&key=ce1ca746cf830a7f9855945853fd49b58075add65f3098cc0f77532e257b7db9

03f3806d3ba4101e4af36588d51e8b01.jpg

• Like 1