IGNORED

Does anyone have these for sale, or know where to find ?

• 1 month later...

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, kats said:

Please note the early one does not have holes like you see them on later one shown in the picture .

Kats

I checked mine and it does seem to have the holes for it ?

How about this 1970 one that has one to ? Is it not correct ?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-39/

Hi , I saw the pictures, I think the car was added the later pan at some point before .

Except a very few prototypes, US and Canada S30 cars ( 240Z ) 1969 October to 1972 August don’t have the pan . I guess this could be true for all export models .

My 01/1970 Z432 has a non - hole pan from the beginning, 

My 03/1970 US 240Z doesn’t have a pan from the beginning but was added a non - hole pan by me for fun .

My 06/1972 Fairlady 240ZG has a non- hole pan from the beginning .

My 12/1971 US 240Z doesn’t have a pan from the beginning.

Kats

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kats said:

Except a very few prototypes, US and Canada S30 cars ( 240Z ) 1969 October to 1972 August don’t have the pan . I guess this could be true for all export models .

Certainly all UK market, and - as far as I am aware - all 'Euro' market cars - DID have the splash pan.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan for correcting me , I have learned a new thing . 

I am curious about Australia cars in the same time period . 

What made Nissan decide some destinations have the pan and others don’t . Doesn’t seem there was a serious 

issue to do that . Cost matter ? Or weight saving?

Kats

• Like 1

From AUTO CAR 6 May 1971/ 10 August 1972 / 14 September 1972 

I can see the splash pan for each car .

I have heard  the red 240Z (HS30-00035) was intended to ship to Australia originally but it ended up landing at Europe,  if so , the Australian 240Z has the pan .

Kats

54B5DE07-26A0-47A2-AFA8-3EBFDEF88F26.jpeg

89910DF6-1A95-4B01-AF06-EC421869116E.jpeg

AC4E907D-5138-4E6B-B2B2-88A3C49C1906.jpeg

C4F98126-FAB0-4524-B895-EF51E6C237F4.jpeg

5C27710D-C0FA-4DCB-865F-3B001D661BB5.jpeg

621E857F-4473-44BA-9F05-5403A2E6D642.jpeg

54C6D312-0CA7-4452-AB7D-89713947B116.jpeg

Edited by kats

See.. new information is coming out, glad I started this topic. My 240Z I checked the drilling holes for the splash pan, and they appear factory stock, not added later.. but I could be wrong here offcourse.

Could it be that the Z's that went to midwest or east ( colder ) parts of the USA did got the splash pan, and Z's from the west coast dryer parts ( California etc ) didn't have one ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

See.. new information is coming out, glad I started this topic. My 240Z I checked the drilling holes for the splash pan, and they appear factory stock, not added later.. but I could be wrong here offcourse.

If you look further at your car you will see other details that were added because the parts/assemblies were common with those used on other variants and other market models. For example, your radiator support panel has holes and captive nuts to accommodate the fitting of an oil cooler, radiator overflow reservoir tank and air filter box/ducting. Your front differential crossmember has double cutouts and double captive nuts to allow the mounting of a twin pipe exhaust system. There are many details like these on our cars.

The holes for the splash pan mounting screws were added to the relevant structural parts of the monocoque when they were made and those components were shared across other variants/markets, so their presence does not necessarily indicate that the car was originally fitted with a splash pan. More that the structure was designed and manufactured with the ability to accommodate one.

2 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Weather >?

I think that's a pretty good guess. It seems that some climates considered wet/snowy got the splash pans, whilst others possibly considered predominately 'dry' (except when I go there on holiday...) did not. A little like the initial heated rear window situation for the HLS30U, perhaps? 

There's also the possibility of a cost factor - however minor - being involved. Some of the decisions made about the HLS30U variants seem to be about cutting costs wherever possible in order to mitigate the chosen selling price. 

In my experience the splash pans - it does what it says on the box - are very effective. Perhaps a little too vulnerable, and they get in the way when you want to work under the car, but they work.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Okay. Well I hope we can find ( or Kats maybe ? ) some more info on these. Since nobody's doesn't really seem to know the answer to this exactly..

With respect, I think the answer - for your 1971 production HLS30U model - was clearly given by Kats further up the thread. The highest probability is that your car did NOT come with one as-delivered from the factory, but could accommodate the fitting of one if that's what you want to do.

• Like 3