IGNORED

Failed CO emissions - all controls removed - where to start?

thetwood

29 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

We have bombarder this fellow. I apologize for the group. It's a game we play, who's first with the answer.

My smartphone is like the Coleco football game I played when I was a kid. LOL

I understand. I'm walking into an area where you all have great experience and I'm the nub. I'm bound to get overwhelmed till I at least start to catch up. Not a problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thetwood said:

I can'd fine any numbers or markings on the injectors top or bottom...

IMG_3049[1].JPG

IMG_3051[1].JPG

I've had the injectors out of my 1983 280ZX a few times, and those look like OEM injectors to me. They're weathered enough to show that they've been installed for a long time.

Edited by Pilgrim

Those injectors aren't what I thought they were.  Nissan injectors all have the same number on the side, and use different colors to differentiate volume.  There should be a number/letter like A11000...  in this spot, below.  You have mystery injectors.  They could be 265 cc aftermarket turbo injectors instead of 188 cc NA injectors. That might explain the low fuel pressure and the reason he used an adjustable regulator.  Aftermarket injectors come in a variety of colors.

So, unfortunately, you might find that you are unable to raise fuel pressure to spec. without causing the engine to run really rich.  

image.png

• Like 1

I was thinking that you might want to have them flow tested for two reasons. First, to determine what you have. Second, although it's running smoothly, it would be good to find out how well they are working.  

If they turn out to be turbo injectors, you should be able to find a buyer if you have the test results to show they're working well.  

11 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I was thinking that you might want to have them flow tested for two reasons. First, to determine what you have. Second, although it's running smoothly, it would be good to find out how well they are working.  

If they turn out to be turbo injectors, you should be able to find a buyer if you have the test results to show they're working well.  

Suggestions on where to go to get them tested?

15 minutes ago, thetwood said:

Suggestions on where to go to get them tested?

I've had this done once or twice, but it's not "rocket surgery" so there are many options you can find online. 

Mine were done in 2016 by Cruzin Performance, 1509 N. Orchard Drive, Traverse City, M 49686.  Phone: 213.796.5705.  (I keep a careful file, and found the receipt.)

I didn't request separate data on each injector, and don't recall if I got it.  The time previous to that, probably 15+ years ago, I used a gent in SOCAL and he labeled each injector separately.  You might request that detail.

Edited by Pilgrim

OK. Here's my current plan after getting all of this advice:

1) I have a new fuel pressure gauge on the way. Confirm what the pressure really is.

2) I'm going to remove the fuel injectors and send them to be flow tested/cleaned. Figure out what I actually have.

3) I'm working on getting a charcoal canister and bracket. You were right, the new non-venting gas cap caused a vacuum in the gas tank without one.

Trying to decide how much else to change out. Should I switch back to a stock fuel rail while I already have the injectors out? that way I can add cold start back into the system?

May take me a while to get through this part, but I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get through some of this...

• Like 2