IGNORED

BAT 1970 240Z HLS30-04930

wheee!

10 hours ago, HS30-H said:

What did you think about the carpet discussion?

One of the latest came-out-of-nowhere bulk dealers states that he has seen no variation on '69 through '73(?) carpets (says they were all the same), which I find pretty remarkable seeing as the very first type of carpeting in North American market cars was manufactured by a third party in the USA until the factory started fitting them a little later on. Identical?

One of his customers is backing him up, of course. It's like a Punch and Judy show. 

Can you point me to the carpet discussion?  I have not seen that. Facebook?  I need to work on my reading skills.  I'm  a skim reader.  It always gets me in trouble.

37 minutes ago, Jason240z said:

Again, I feel for the seller as there's a few people on there trying to create themselves as the focal point for all things 'Z'. It goes to show just how people believe what they read on line and how when a collective get together it can become the norm.

Not to mention the endless advertising that one of the posters does.

The original paint/non-original paint thing started to get silly, and the pushing for a paint thickness meter examination started to look like bullying from at least two people who have an interest in prices going up. Surely if anyone wants to verify the paint they should go and see the car in person and make their own decision, and that would be their advantage over others in the auction format?

I'm still not sure how these BaT auctions can be classified? I've always considered auctions as a format akin to a game of poker, where serious buyers don't want to show their hand until the last moment and the 'game' was to get something for less than you think it is truly worth. Instead, BaT seem to foster the idea of getting the price up no matter what, and some of the people making comments on the live auction are actively showing their hand ("I'm out", "I'm intending to win this"). I find it truly bizarre.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 87mj said:

Can you point me to the carpet discussion?  I have not seen that. Facebook?  I need to work on my reading skills.  I'm  a skim reader.  It always gets me in trouble.

The 'carpet discussion' developed in the comments section of the Bring-a-Trailer auction for the car which is the topic of this thread: 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-43/

You'll need to scroll through the comments to see the 'carpet discussion' develop, but if you really want to go in-depth I recommend you search our own forum here for far better reference material.

10 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

The original paint/non-original paint thing started to get silly, and the pushing for a paint thickness meter examination started to look like bullying from at least two people who have an interest in prices going up. Surely if anyone wants to verify the paint they should go and see the car in person and make their own decision, and that would be their advantage over others in the auction format?

I'm still not sure how these BaT auctions can be classified? I've always considered auctions as a format akin to a game of poker, where serious buyers don't want to show their hand until the last moment and the 'game' was to get something for less than you think it is truly worth. Instead, BaT seem to foster the idea of getting the price up no matter what, and some of the people making comments on the live auction are actively showing their hand ("I'm out", "I'm intending to win this"). I find it truly bizarre.  

yes, buying cars, then 'swapping back', constant messages about spending 'free money' on them due to increasing values.  I'd love to play poker against those two.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

If I could take a moment and call out the the 'facebook experts' for their serious lack of knowledge and inability to seek reliable, documented information.  Whew!!! Those people say the damnedest things!

True, and unfortunately, I get drawn into these commentaries on BaT. 

I can say it here, but dare not say it on BaT as I would probably get pretty beat up there, but I have to say that the 'Guild' guy is pretty hard to live with.   He has sold a number of Z cars on BaT and is quite the salesman, but is beyond obnoxious in pushing his points.  And, he pretty much thinks that he is the authority on the 240Z, often embarrassing himself. 

It is sad that he is pushing the paint issue. While important, the only reason he pushes it is that it is a service that he provides.  While considering himself a restoration shop, I consider most of his work average and for the most part incomplete.  He will do enough work to sell a car and make it look nice, however, the work is often incomplete and just general clean-up.  Again, just enough to make the sale.   The thing that bothers me the most is that he claims to speak for the entire Z community and to be the top authority.  Sadly, he is neither of these.

Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.  Sorry in advance to any who are offended. 

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 3

Bidding always escalates during the last few minutes of the auction.  I don't expect any movement in price until then.

And I agree about the "Guild" guy, he should be barred from posting in any other Z auctions as it is really a conflict of interest for him.

Edited by DougN
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DougN said:

Bidding always escalates during the last few minutes of the auction.  I don't expect any movement in price until then.

And I agree about the "Guild" guy, he should be barred from posting in any other Z auctions as it is really a conflict of interest for him.

3 hours ago, motorman7 said:

True, and unfortunately, I get drawn into these commentaries on BaT. 

I can say it here, but dare not say it on BaT as I would probably get pretty beat up there, but I have to say that the 'Guild' guy is pretty hard to live with.   He has sold a number of Z cars on BaT and is quite the salesman, but is beyond obnoxious in pushing his points.  And, he pretty much thinks that he is the authority on the 240Z, often embarrassing himself. 

It is sad that he is pushing the paint issue. While important, the only reason he pushes it is that it is a service that he provides.  While considering himself a restoration shop, I consider most of his work average and for the most part incomplete.  He will do enough work to sell a car and make it look nice, however, the work is often incomplete and just general clean-up.  Again, just enough to make the sale.   The thing that bothers me the most is that he claims to speak for the entire Z community and to be the top authority.  Sadly, he is neither of these.

Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.  Sorry in advance to any who are offended. 

I like his overspray jobs!

• Like 1