zKars

Another Oil Study. Interesting results indeed.

Well someone in 2017 did a pretty well designed study on 10 of these new fangled high ZDDP oils intended for old classic cars such as ours.

I know we have discussed this in the past, don't remember if we referenced this study before. My apologies if so. 

Results were surprising to the author. Hopefully it will shed light on the current "hype" on this topic and perhaps result in fewer scarred cams and rockers around these parts.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AHKKfKJ3E11RU1E&cid=FD59A041A3808BD5&id=FD59A041A3808BD5!1416&parId=FD59A041A3808BD5!207&o=OneUp

Note: This contribution originally posted by a well known Z owner, Chickenman, on the510realm. http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31832

• Like 2

Well, I have been running Lucas oil in my car since I first started it up, mainly because of the zinc and cost. Nice to see it got a good rating.

Looks like my VR-1 is not so great.. But my 75 has a catalytic converter so not sure what would be best.

I always thought that ZDDP content in the 1200 to 1400 ppm range was ideal.   VR-1 comes in about 1040 ppm, lower than I thought.

Any thoughts on how this study applies to rebuilt engines?  Is this study just pertinent to older, non-rebuilt engines?  Just wondering ...

funny I just watched a video moss garage IIRC and the Valvoline guy was on there talking about 1400 ppm of zinc.

Any thoughts on how this study applies to rebuilt engines?  Is this study just pertinent to older, non-rebuilt engines?  Just wondering ...
Rebuilt engines need the zddp protection more if anything. Older engines I think may have a degree protection from work hardening.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ryanotown22 said:

Rotol T4 15w-40 wish that was tested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean Rotella?

Even running Rotella for a long time now . Drive my car hard ! Cam looks new every time I look at it 

• Like 1

I found this very interesting. The good oils in this test are expensive in the UK, if available at all, but it at least gave me values for zinc and phosphate levels I should have. (1400ppm+)
I recently bought some eastwood additive and so looked it up, and it seems to have the right sort of amounts for a Z sump full.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-zddp-oil-additive-4-oz.html

• Like 1