IGNORED

fuel rail and pressure regulator suggestions-78 280Z

One Way

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

During this procedure will the fuel normally bypass the regulator and go to my return tank? On Initial turnover I’m getting 36psi and after it sits for a few minutes it drops down to 10lbs static. Meanwhile I’ve sent a lot of fuel to the return tank.

Yes, that's how the system works.  Fuel passes through the regulator back to the tank after 36 psi is reached.  The fact that it leaks down after the engine dies might affect starting time but won't affect how it runs once it starts.  You have a running problem not a starting problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Just pop off the plug at the round sensor/switch on the side of the engine block..  Turn the key on and the pump should start running.  It's a good test of the fuel pump control system.

When you're working with these EFI systems you really need to make a list of things to check and follow it, unless you have a really good memory.  Make a list then run through it, check, check, check....  Otherwise things will look like just a bunch of random actions and results.

More than likely from sitting dormant for 12 years, the fuel has gummed up / seized many or all of the injectors causing them to not spray fuel with the pulse.   Try to listen to them while a assistant is cranking the motor.  They make a distinctive click sound, a stick or long screwdriver held to your ear works well.

Injectors were sent to HPI and rebuilt. New OEM pump. While apart I checked the AFM, TPS, Thermotime switch for CSV and the thermostat to ECU. Went step by step by the FSM. Only part could not check static was the fuel pressure regulator. Definitely had corrosion issues on most connectors which I resolved. All vacuum and fuel lines replaced. Thanks for your input much appreciated

8 hours ago, Yarb said:

Injectors were sent to HPI and rebuilt. New OEM pump. While apart I checked the AFM, TPS, Thermotime switch for CSV and the thermostat to ECU. Went step by step by the FSM. Only part could not check static was the fuel pressure regulator. Definitely had corrosion issues on most connectors which I resolved. All vacuum and fuel lines replaced. Thanks for your input much appreciated

above is a test you can do.