IGNORED

float bowl overflow

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

He found those on ebay, NOS.

They're no longer on ebay either 'cause...

I mentioned wanting a set in a post above, he found those and, drum roll please, they'll be here next week! ?

I love that man. :love:

I don't know if I'm happy for you or not! ?

• Haha 1

Progress report:

Had another look at the position of the float and determined that the only reason it wasn't centered was that there is a bit of sideways play on the pivot pin.  Nothing to see here folks.  So I rechecked the float level using my own glass- jar plus funnel system (photo attached); be patient Snap-On, l'll sell you the blueprints as soon as I get my patent in order.  Re-installed the float, tried Siteunseen's push-down-with-a-straw method, and everything seemed as bouncy as it should.  Fired up, let it run for a couple of minutes, drove a couple of miles, brought it back, and no gas coming at me through the vent.  It reminds me of  a friend's car many years ago, a Chev V-8.  Occasionally it would start running rough, at which point he would pull over, dig out a fairly heavy screwdriver, and whack the carb bowls with the handle.  Problem solved.  "Float gets stuck in the bowl somehow" he explained.  I'm not sure how the SU float could get stuck in the bowl with everything being clean and shiny, but I can't think of anything else.

The only problem now is finding any engine between idle (does nicely at 700 rpm) and 2,200 rpm.  Touch the throttle and the carbs pause and gasp before winding up to working range.  

DSCN1418.JPG

DSCN1420.JPG

12 minutes ago, Richard McDonel said:

The only problem now is finding any engine between idle (does nicely at 700 rpm) and 2,200 rpm.  Touch the throttle and the carbs pause and gasp before winding up to working range.  

Could be in the timing?

Glad your making progress!

Just rembered my ordeal. Once the float levels are right you must start over with carb balance and tuning airflow. But once you do it all over and get them right, say goodnight to Mr Carburetors. They will be solid for years.

Edited by siteunseen

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I don't know if I'm happy for you or not! ?

@Patcon Well, I did not want Cliff to feel special so a set are also going to you Charles.  btw your's is the last set on Ebay. Cliff is Mr. Penultimate.

DatsunDan in Alabama is sending them so they should get there soon!

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1