IGNORED

"Brand new" 280Z

brunodoggy

"If something looks too good to be true...."

No offense, but I see something else again in the available fotos.

Between the re-paint (look at the ash tray pocket on the tunnel, always the exterior color), the road rash on the leading face of the suspension, and the discoloration of the exhaust (and where is its heat shielding), my dough's on 100,350mi.

Another $.02 from the peanut gallery.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brunodoggy said:

I zoomed in on the picture with the odometer. There will be more pictures after I get the car home on Saturday

IMG_20190709_181550.jpg

The old way of telling if an odometer had turned over was to see if the 0's were on the same line.  Yours look pretty good.

Seems like the more fundamental question might be "were all of the 280Z's delivered from Nissan perfect on arrival".  That seems to be the assumption for people critiquing yours.  Who knows.

18 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

3rd pic in this post is missing fender bolts also.

Good eye. Apparently the owner noticed a ding in the left front fender when he got home. The dealer was going to putty the ding and re-paint the fender. The owner didn't want that, and had them give him a new fender. Apparently they gave him the new fender but didn't install it. He still has the original fender too. So I'll have a extra "Brand New" fender.

Very interesting car. No doubt, the color code on the radiator support is puzzling. I find myself wanting to see 30-40 high resolution photos of lots of key areas.

Personally, I don't see what another poster is seeing with the tunnel under the ash tray. Looks right for the blue paint to me but again more resolution would be better.

If we were playing a no risk game and I had to decide whether it is a 350 mile car based only on the photos provided, I would have to vote that it is a 350 mile car. To me, the zinc and metal under the hood, while dirty, doesn't look like a 100,350 mile car.

I don't think you have showed us the "dent" in the fender but I would try like heck to not disturb the original paint. If it means leaving the dent, fine. If it means finding the best paintless dent person on the planet and fixing without painting then ideal.

No matter what though you have a great car to own and enjoy. No doubt you could flip it...but you could also enjoy it some and flip later.

Welcome to the site! More photos please!

Edit:

One other thing I would do if it were my car...I would remove the original seats and save them and find another set on ebay to restore. If you show the car install the original seats. When you drive some...use the restored seats.

Edited by jonathanrussell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Good advice!

I can't wait for the photos, I'm a very bored guy.  The carpet/jute will be my tell.

9/76 original carpet even with rear louvers.

20190718_134256.jpg

Here is the only current image I have of the rear carpet.

IMG_20190713_135600.jpg

First, Clarification: I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But there is a rather interesting conundrum here, and I never could resist a good mystery. Anyone ever play "Clue"?

Now, I realize this is a lot like the blind men and the elephant, but somehow the limited clues make things all the more interesting.

I checked and found I was wrong about the exhaust shielding thing; that was only on Cal. 280s like mine. However, the exhaust pipe looks awfully fresh in those surroundings, and with a finish that looks more aftermarket than Factory.

On the other hand, I am confident in stating that all 280s were sprayed on the interior (including the tunnel) with the body color, and barring a misleading color rendition, the ash tray pocket seen at the top of the tunnel is not blue, nor is the flat area in front of the shifter.

I am also confident that the undercarraige shots clearly indicate a fair number of miles on the chassis. The roll bar and its fixing bolt head, as well as the forward faces of the susp. arms are definitely not just muddy.

Going to the interior again, the steering wheel, the seat covers, and the shift boot show the kind of dust consistent with that found on the engine and exterior, while the rear carpet and tower vinyl look very fresh.

And so does the spotless, blemish-free dash and its very, very clean gauge lenses. Now, the fact is, that there is no reason to remove the center air grills to replace a radio. But one would have to do it to install that flawless dashboard. I'm inclined to propose that the 350mi probably came with the dashboard, that was not on this car when it left the Factory.

The whole paint issue is fascinating. It will be interesting to see what the first good wash reveals.

I can hardly wait for more clues

• Like 1