IGNORED

S30 Chassis Jig and Sheet Metal Fabrication

On 7/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, Jeff Berk said:

Impressive work space. I had to get a 4-post lift to store my Z. It looks like you have room for several more.

Good luck with your little project and I'm glad to see one more Z saved from the scrap yard.

Thanks Jeff! I was really fortunate to find this work space. 1100 sqft for $100 a month!!!
But tbh I do split the rent with 4 other people... lol 

@ConVerTT I took inspiration from your jig and I started to make one based off of your design with a few tweaks.

I making a CAD model that's not quite yet complete, but I'm referencing your post with the drawing in the maintenance manual. 
Depending on how sturdy it turns out, I might do some math and see if I can turn it into a rotisserie! 
Check it out!

!!!!!!WARNING!!!!! 
Drawing/model are not complete, dimensions may not be accurate!!!

240z_Jig_Drawing_Incomplete.JPG

240z_Jig_Model_Incomplete.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ConVerTT said:

Sweet!  Looks good man.  

Thanks for the props!

Appriciate it, glad you like it!
Btw, did you use thru holes and long bolts for the rear subframe/trans-mount pieces, or did you use the stock bolts with a large hole  at the bottom of the horizontal box tube to fit a socket? 

Just now, ConVerTT said:

PS:  I think it will be too heavy to rotate, plus it will be in the way.  I plan to lift mine onto a rotisserie and then remove the jig when the time comes.

Cheers

Ahhh, gotcha. I'm probably going to whip up some plans when the time comes. Are you building your own? 

5 minutes ago, MonkeyBiznez said:

Appriciate it, glad you like it!
Btw, did you use thru holes and long bolts for the rear subframe/trans-mount pieces, or did you use the stock bolts with a large hole  at the bottom of the horizontal box tube to fit a socket? 

I used long bolts through, but either way would work

2 minutes ago, MonkeyBiznez said:

Ahhh, gotcha. I'm probably going to whip up some plans when the time comes. Are you building your own? 

Sort of.  I bought a kit years ago.  Basically it has contains the rotating parts and plans - source/cut/weld your own HSS.

13 hours ago, scotta said:

Great stuff. Not sure if you have it yet, but would be really interested to have the design include the hood mounting bolt holes. Thanks

Plus the hood latch and radiator top bar positioning. This way a sub jug could be built that would fit over the engine (if still installed) and confirm placement of suspension tower tops, and hood setup. 

Cheers

Monkey, what Cad data did you need? Ive already taken the body diagram i to cad, traced and verified most of the data. Ive made a body jig, which allows me to measure from, similar ro a car-o-liner / global jig. Ive made sil panel clamps which pinch the sill edges(lasercut 16mm steel plates on base plates). 

Accuracy on jig is <0.5mm, and serves me well. To the point frustrates my mate who bumped my car moving it and now has an alignment issue on one of the strut towers. (bumped frame with a forklift with the lh tower against the hoist!)  oouch. 

Basically ive used a 10mm dia pin which is the 'C' datum and i can use a tape anywhere diagonally to pinpoint with a plumbob or square, to fit a point in 3d space. I think i had some pics on the Aus Z car site somewhere. If not ill post some up here. 

Nat0z

Edited by Nat0z
Typos
  • Like 2