IGNORED

Advice for buying

LucarelliZ

Although you asked the Group for advice, it seems that you may have already eliminated all three of the choices based on your budget (280), lack of storage space (240 shell) , and current mechanical skills (240 shell & rusting 260),  Keep in mind that these aren't the last three Zs on the planet.  As others mentioned, expand your search area.  Find a local club or ask around at local mechanic shops to find unadvertised cars.  Most of us didn't have the pleasure of buying a Z new off the showroom floor.  So, for most, it became a hunting adventure.  Take your time, the right car is out there.  

You mentioned that you have three parts cars 800 miles away.  Condition?  What can you salvage if needed for the Z you eventually find?  Enjoy the search and count on this Group to help.

Dennis

1 hour ago, Dave WM said:

prob 118k or 218k unless there is documentation to support 18k, the odometer only went to 99,999 before restarting. 

Yep, the likelihood of that 280Z having only covered 18k miles is pretty small.  Unless there’s documentation, assume at least 118k miles.  As siteunseen mentioned, look at the wear on the rubber covers for the pedals.  At 18k miles, they should look close to brand new.  Of course, new rubber covers can be purchased.  Another clue on mileage...look at the driver’s side of the transmission tunnel, where the driver’s foot would rub up against it.  Does the carpet there look newish, or worn?

Of the choices presented, I would lean towards the 280Z, and perhaps you can talk the seller down some.  No harm in trying.  Also, unless you feel confident in your ability to inspect the car thoroughly, I’d recommend you make the purchase contingent upon a successful pre-purchase inspection at an independent shop familiar with Z cars.  Do you have one in the area where the car is located?  Plan on spending a little of your budget to get the inspection.  The goal is to buy your dream car, not one that ends up being a nightmare!

• Like 1

He said it has documentation up to 16 or 17k mi. Perhaps that is because the other 100k disappeared. I’ll have to see the documents myself to determine the years, and look at the pedals ;). But the 3 that I have are in disrepair. The last one to run was about 20 years ago. The other to even longer. None of them are really missing parts so I think I could get things that might need from them. The 240 is sadly far too rusted to do anything with. The 2 280s have far less rust, but there is still some visible rust. I believe the floor pans are still there, though some rust in on them. Some rust at the sills and the battery trays are essentially gone. The spare compartments are intact but have surface rust. Visible surface rust where chips in the pair were, etc. So I don’t really know. Plus, they are 12hrs away, so it’s not as easy for me to use one of them directly at the moment anyway. If any of them were pristine, it would be worth it to get it shipped down, but in there current state it’s not worth it. I don’t know. I just really want to get something started, or I worry I never will. I’ve had those 3 for about 3 years now, and nothing has come of them due to lack of funds. Now I am making enough that I think I can start to get something going though. Also, as I am somewhat new to this area, is there anyone in the community from Florida that might have a suggestion of a mechanic that is knowledgeable in Z’s for a PPI or any other help?

Thank you to everyone for commenting by the way. It’s really nice to see that people would actually be decent enough to consider helping me. I truly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That 240 shell and the rusty 260 sold since yesterday. Pretty surprised about the 260 at least. It had only been for sale since Thursday. But I actually found a 260 about 4hrs away. Supposedly no rust, and has had the underside coated. Now is that to cover up rust, or as a preventative, I don’t know haha. It looks on the exterior to be pretty sweet. Gunmetal paint, plus a carbon fiber hood and possibly suspension work? Says it runs well also. The only bad part is it’s auto...

IMG_1552.thumb.jpg.2f4ddac07515892a85d4bc07a2ffd23b.jpgIMG_1550.thumb.jpg.8566f30aed88add16b6cae38a8955c67.jpg

IMG_1551.thumb.jpg.c12e74bf7684b9e42f15345151b4c016.jpgIMG_1553.thumb.jpg.44252ac45501581378a49c3487094572.jpg

there is no way of knowing without going to see it in person, bring a magnet, get under it, take it for a test drive. Right off I can see its missing the cowl piece, not a big deal, just one more thing that will need to be looked into. If nothing else you see Zs pop up so you don't have to take whats out there RIGHT NOW. And yes you will have to do some traveling esp if you are in a hurry. Door panels can be gotten, not sure about 260's

Edited by Dave WM

[quote post="578673" timestamp="1561834752" name="Dave WM" Right off I can see its missing the cowl piece, not a big deal, just one more thing that will need to be looked into.

I have 3 of those ;)
Assuming they are interchangeable. I do not however have door panels for a 260. Only 240 and 280.

I always wonder about project cars, I see filled panels (no bumpers) stripped out interior, why was the project stopped, if its does not take a lot to complete it, why not finish and then sell.

I would much rather find a car that was completed, done right, and pay more than an incomplete project.