IGNORED

Incredibly Clean & Original 1973 240Z on BaT

lonetreesteve

in 73, I'm not sure if that heat wrap came from the factory or was added by dealers as part of a TSB.  If you look at the pics in the FSM's, the heat wrap does not appear in the 73 manual, but it is shown in the pics for 74.

@Zup might have some insights. I think he and that wrap stuff have a long and troubled relationship.   LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

Was the heat wrap really asbestos?

I thought I read somewhere where the '73 also came with an electric fuel pump.   Is that correct?

The electric fuel pump was a field modification designed by Nissan and installed by dealers. I don't know if Nissan ever shipped any 73s with the fuel pump already installed.

As time went on in 73, I believe the asbestos (Zup has mentioned it was indeed asbestos) heat wrap transitioned from the dealer installation to factory.

Zup replaced the heat wrap with a more modern equivalent because it had deteriorated and became crumbly over 40 plus years with no way to restore it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 87mj said:

Was the heat wrap really asbestos?

I thought I read somewhere where the '73 also came with an electric fuel pump.   Is that correct?

Yes. Both the insulative material inside and the outer covering were described in the Datsun/Nissan TSB as being made of asbestos containing materials. 

Evil stuff for your body---but in '73 the governmental authorities weren't worried too much about it---they were more worried about the perceived threats of psychedelic drugs----:ENVOUTER: (Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test had really set in)

Many 73 Z'z came from the factory with a "transistorized" electric fuel pump---either the Mitsuba FP3 or the Jidosha Kiki units (mine had the Mitsuba).

I'm pretty sure the cars from the first few months of production (72 builds) did not, and were candidates for the V3 factory authorized TSB program to address the reported issues----the electric fuel pump and heat wrap on the fuel lines were 2 significant aspects----but there were several other procedures included in that TSB.

The transistorized electric fuel pump was not listed on the window sticker as a feature of the car. 

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

@Zup might have some insights. I think he and that wrap stuff have a long and troubled relationship.   LOL

I'm not wound-up tight enough yet to get into my rap about "the wrap" today.

I do think It will be interesting to hear Fred Buoni's response regarding the TSB/V3 issue as it relates to ZCCA/ZCON judging for this unique instance applying only to the 73 240z. He promised a statement in an earlier inquiry by @motorman7regarding the interpretation of the TSB/V3 as being "Factory" or "Dealer".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

As time went on in 73, I believe the asbestos (Zup has mentioned it was indeed asbestos) heat wrap transitioned from the dealer installation to factory.

Zup replaced the heat wrap with a more modern equivalent because it had deteriorated and became crumbly over 40 plus years with no way to restore it.   

Looks like the subject car is an early '73, built in 11/72. That would explain why there are no heat wraps on the fuel rail. 

1973_datsun_240z_1559770750565ef66e7dff9f98IMG_6011.jpg

Just finished an article in the July issue of "Automobile" in which a number of big names discuss the current state of the collector car market.  They generally see the market softening for high-end stuff and it may be considered a buyer's market.  Japanese imports were mentioned several times but not the HLS30 specifically.  Their opinion is that the Japanese market was strong with reservations for some of the exorbitant sales like the Toyota Supra Turbos.  Recommended BUY for the average price 1972 240Z of $25,000