IGNORED

F54/P79 Swap Project

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yup, I'm an electrical engineer.

And I don't usually read the directions either.  LOL 

I went to Georgia Tech.....tried M.E., but when I got to Fluid Mech and Thermodynamics, I switched to Industrial Management. I needed to work on my selling skills ?

Haha!! I understand completely.

I went to Penn State, and the EE department forced all the other disciplines to take one introductory electrical class for non-EE majors. Every one of the other disciplines had to take it, and every one of the students universally hated it. So... By the time I got there, the ME department had retaliated and made the other disciplines take one introductory ME class for non ME's. It was thermo and fluid flow, and of all the classes I ever took, I think I despised that one the most.

Now that I have identified so many automotive related applications, I'm sure I could get much more out of it. But at the time, it was pure torture.

It was even rumored that sometimes people would swap... Your ME friend would take your thermo test for you and you would take their Intro to Circuits tests for them. Not that I ever participated in anything like that, of course.   :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, That's the Kameari tensioner that I see mentioned in threads about this topic, and the only problem with it seems to be the price. Nice piece of engineering:
jj32-10_4.jpg

So in summary, here's the issue in a nutshell...

When you remove material from the bottom of the head, it brings the centerlines of the cam and crank closer together. With the cam and crank closer together, the valve timing becomes retarded and the chain has more slack.

One solution to these issues is to shim the cam towers upwards and use either longer valves or thicker lash pads.

Another solution is to account for the timing change using an adjustable cam pulley, and adjust for the chain slack with a different tensioning design, such as the Kameari tensioner.

32 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

I am having a bit of a time finding the cam towers /valve spring shims..

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

What do you need, specifically? I have a ton of parts I'd love to get gone. Unfortunately they are earley towers, N47 is the most recent. Let us know!

Man I didn't even think about Datsun Spirit. And with all those beautiful engine build threads. I was looking through Motorsports online site(another good bunch)and only saw spacers for. 040 on the cam towers.

I'm looking for cam tower spacers/valve spring spacers/valves to match. 080 shaved P79 head.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

I ended up going with the cam tower spacers and valve spring shims from Datsun Spirit.  The polished valves look real nice, but I opted for OEM style 44mm/35mm valves from Rockauto.  When I e-mailed Datsun Sprit's contact on their webpage with some questions about what to get, I got a reply from Eiji himself.  On a Sunday no doubt. 

http://datsunspirit.com/shop/cam-tower-spacers-080-2-0mm-copy/

http://datsunspirit.com/shop/swirl-polished-valves-44mm-35mm/

image.png

image.png