IGNORED

Engine pulleys

tom231

Thanks jfa!

Did message Cliff.

You are definitely correct about H-Town!!

Today it is BOILING!!!

Is having the larger fuel pump OK?

Also, do you put ATF or 20W in your carb dampers?  Mine is low and cannot tell if ATF or oil.  Doesn’t smell like oil?

Thanks,  Tom

2A255502-EA3A-41D9-AD00-62392D7D2334.jpeg

D67A49F4-5459-426A-948E-E3FAEFF2219C.jpeg

07CB3873-2127-4059-8FE4-2D5086B828C3.jpeg

• Like 1

That's your A/C compressor mounted on the left side of the engine. No belt could mean someone was having problems with it and just removed the belt rather than fix the problem... Also, no need for a "3rd pulley" in that system. You only need two belts - one for the A/C, one for the water pump and alternator.  Edit: Finally saw the smog pump and that you have all the pulleys you need. Nice looking aftermarket A/C install.

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Like 1

The compressor pulley should spin freely as it sits with no belt and while the compressor clutch is not engaged. You could turn the compressor clockwise using a wrench on the nut on the face of the pulley assembly (it holds the clutch plate onto the compressor shaft). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tom231 said:

Will give it a try!!

Below are the receipts for the new AC!

Looks to have a new YORK compressor

BUT wondering why it was moved???

thanks to you ALL!  Tom

6673034B-41FF-423F-A3E0-1612CA2312F5.jpeg

That's quite a hefty bill to maintain the old York and R12 system.  Newer system would have cost about the same.  Owner must have wanted to keep it period correct.

Dennis

Dennis-I agree, that is HUGE MONEY back then, heck it is big money now!!

Still, why do you think they moved the compressor?  What did they gain?  They could of just exchanged the compressors. They had all the original Freon lines on the correct dealer installed side.

thanks,  Tom

10 hours ago, tom231 said:

Dennis-I agree, that is HUGE MONEY back then, heck it is big money now!!

Still, why do you think they moved the compressor?  What did they gain?  They could of just exchanged the compressors. They had all the original Freon lines on the correct dealer installed side.

thanks,  Tom

I suspect they were lacking the boat anchor original mount or they wanted to mount it in such a way as to not interfere with the fuel pump. Your current install is much better in a number of ways

I guess there were a couple of install options that different dealers used for installing A/C. My series I car had the dealer York compressor installed on the same side as Tom's. I removed the York and installed a Sanden down where the air pump used to be (haven't completed putting it back together yet though). When I did the 3 row radiator with electric fans it wouldn't fit with the York so I had to remove it and go with the low Sanden mount.

Old compressor

DSC04056.JPG

New Compressor

IMG_20190621_092614043.jpg

• Like 3

It looks like the mystery of the pulleys is solved with Tom's additional pics and  @w3wilkes pics of an similar compressor install.  I think the theory of moving the compressor is pretty accurate as it allowed for future maintenance of the fuel pump.

Tom - as to your question to me on the carbs damper fluid, I've previously used ATF but currently use 3-in-1 oil with carbs rebuilt by Z Therapy.  It has a light viscosity and is easy to install with the small can and nozzle - so little is required that it didn't make sense to me to buy a typical quart container of something else.