IGNORED

Complete Misfire on Three Cylinders

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

That chunk of brass was some sort of plug he stuffed down into there to seal the bottom of the hole back up.

So now I'm going to spend the next bunch of hours working on trying to fix that crap.    :facepalm:  

Don't confuse from with function.  If it doesn't leak then, technically, it's fixed.  If you can get the hole properly aligned and threaded so a valve cover bolt works correctly, then, technically, the problems are solved.  You could be heading down a worm hole trying to fix something that is only aesthetic.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Don't confuse from with function.  If it doesn't leak then, technically, it's fixed.  If you can get the hole properly aligned and threaded so a valve cover bolt works correctly, then, technically, the problems are solved.  You could be heading down a worm hole trying to fix something that is only aesthetic.

You're forgetting...CO has a touch of OCD. :love:

• Like 1

I got a couple hours in the shop today. Here's what I started with. You can't really tell from this pic but that hole goes in on somewhat of an angle. It's not square to the top surface. It cuts in towards the center of the head:
P1150282.JPG

First I bored out the hole (hopefully close to the correct location) to about as large as I was comfortable with. Here you can clearly see the off-center hole that punctured down into the water jacket below:
P1150289.JPG

Then once that was done, I threaded that hole:
P1150291.JPG

And made a threaded insert on the lathe:
P1150297.JPG

Here's a test fit:
P1150298.JPG

I didn't glue the insert in yet. I'll do that tomorrow with a clear head. And then after I glue it in, I'll cut off the excess and machine flat.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 4

I got a couple hours in the shop today. Here's what I started with. You can't really tell from this pic but that hole goes in on somewhat of an angle. It's not square to the top surface. It cuts in towards the center of the head:
P1150282.JPG.c7ca8701736275d3af581e36659bcb26.JPG
First I bored out the hole (hopefully close to the correct location) to about as large as I was comfortable with. Here you can clearly see the off-center hole that punctured down into the water jacket below:
P1150289.JPG.673b547a9729a0c7d744000abab83728.JPG
Then once that was done, I threaded that hole:
P1150291.JPG.5ec3a0c1c08cd1545f79db26d3be37a1.JPG
And made a threaded insert on the lathe:
P1150297.JPG.34ac99fecec125660e2707ea048a6dd5.JPG
Here's a test fit:
P1150298.JPG.c00da3d962431fe025d5028b905edc42.JPG
I didn't glue the insert in yet. I'll do that tomorrow with a clear head. And then after I glue it in, I'll cut off the excess and machine flat.

CO, I’m impressed. Nice work. Regarding the ”labor-cost-benefit”, I’d say this is a labor of love. Minds like yours and many on here need these mental and skill challenges. So try and enjoy what it a know afterwards that you’ll sleep well knowing you did it right. The PO didn’t have the luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and my donor cam from [mention=7021]jonathanrussell[/mention] arrived today and looks great!
Thanks again for the incredible generosity!!    :beer:
P1150285.JPG.ff08b7d9af78d538cf70e9be12b87cbe.JPG

One of the many great things about this Forum. Most people on here regularly, are on because they love these cars and the camaraderie with the members, not to make a buck or boast and prove their expertise. The pay it forward mentality for the greater good of the members and forum is the prevailing culture.
Jonathonrussell just proved that once again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4