IGNORED

Long throttle linkage replacement

Polishing up the new end makes sense, only the metal and stay away from the plastic ball.  Be careful to not take off the plating...  Then re-assembling the ball end with the threads should be easy.  Just be sure as previously stated to note the Center-to-Center ball distance from your original rod.  Once cleaned the ball can be easily screwed onto your good shaft, just clean your threads on the shaft before attaching.  The nut on your original rod is used to lock the threaded ball end at the correct length and orientation.  There should not be any significant force torquing the threaded ball end on.   

Good luck...

Edited by moritz55
Clarity
  • Like 1

I took a couple of pictures of one of the plastic ball ends of the long stock linkage that i have installed. Do you really think its worth all the hassle of removing the stock one and installing the other one? The plastic ball end does not look cracked just a little bit worn. 

20190602_000702.jpg

20190602_000638.jpg

20190602_000710.jpg

You can modify these easily if you have a few spares.  Just get the appropriate tap and die and use an appropriate small tube to couple.  I used a brake line as a makeshift coupler. I cut it to lenght the  ran a tap into each end to make a thread. I then took a small ball and socket shaft and cut it in two. Each cut end was threaded with a die then screwed and glued into the brakeline mid section.  Here is crude example:

image.png

Since you now have two threaded removable ball ends, just buy a piece of rod and cut threads into the ends then attach your two ball ends.

A machine chop can turn a nice piece of ss rod to the right diameter and cut the end threads!

image.png

Edited by 240260280

• 2 weeks later...