IGNORED

My Mecum Purchase - 1972 240Z

718Miata

Just now, 718Miata said:

That was his contention. I believe him. He had no reason to lie.  I had bought the car already, as is, from Mecum.  

I wasn't going to suggest he was lying..  The reason for my comment was to express how frustrating it would be to find these cracks.  Especially after a big restoration..

30 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

My first thought was, balderdash! Never heard of that much damage occurring in one day. But, when reviewing the pics again, the cracks look new. Old cracks typically swell as the cracks grow.  

Is there any way to patch those so they look better?

13 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I had one that the PO had filled in with a low gloss black elastomeric caulk. Like you use to seal commercial windows. It looked pretty darn good to me. I'll try and find a picture when I get my laptop out.

Thank you. That would be great. Replacing the whole dash is too great of a challenge for me. 

Hello 718Miata: Wecome to the Z Car community. Take that Datsun 240Z out for a long drive and chances are good that you'll stay in the Z Car Community for a long time. 

I really can’t believe anyone would let that 240Z go for less than $25K. Does it have title problems?, Floors completely rusted out? Was previous owner high on drugs?  Were there no Dealers at that Auction? This is the 50th Anniversary of the “Z Car”.. and 240Z’s are HOT in the market NOW. There is a discussion thread on the this forum seeking information about how/where to find 240Z’s for sale.

Looking only at the “Beauty Shots” - and projecting them onto areas we can not see - - if the undercarriage looks as good… It’s easily a $25K to $30K+ sale on BringATrailer.  

Get it up on a lift and get clear pictures of the floorboards/framerails and entire suspension - and you’ll get a better evaluation of its current market value from the group here.
Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 3

The car has no title problems. In fact, the title is getting delivered today from Mecum. I’ll be the fourth owner.

The prior owner did the restoration over the course of 13 years. He had the car for 17 years. He essentially did a nuts and bolts restoration. I’ll take some photos from his album later and post them. 

Mecum was the absolutely wrong place to sell this car. Almost no one at Houston Mecum is looking for Japanese cars. He should have put it on BAT in the first instance. 

I’ll take some photos of the undercarriage with my phone and flashlight later.  It is really clean.