IGNORED

JNC NEWS: Nissan releases 50th anniversary 370Z

Mike

The white 240Z parked in front of the 370Z is owned by a GZC member. Nissan transported his car to NYC for the auto show. The owner is also being hosted by Nissan.

I think there is a good faction within Nissan that supports the Z heritage. It's just a challenge to make the business case work for the bean-counters.

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

The point is that a lick of paint, a logo, and some threads on any Nissan product to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the S30 is very weak.  Let's hope they are holding back and more is to come.

I think Nissan is struggling to save face right now.  The drama around Ghosn and the decisions his leadership made will take some time to recover.  Right now they just seem to be coming up with new paint schemes and low risk investments.  In my opinion, it looks like they need a 'fresh' look at their products and it's time for them to come up with a more exciting line.

While I was in Japan, I visited Nissan's Tokyo showroom and there was a lot of focus on electric.  They are also pushing the GTR pretty hard.  Unfortunately, the Z seems to be low on their priorities list (from what I could tell).  Toyota, on the other hand, had about five of their '86' sports cars in their Toyota Experience venue.  They were showing off the car with all the performance upgrades and modifications.  Of course Toyota is also focusing on electric, but, what surprised me is the huge display about their Hydrogen development..

I'd really like to see Nissan do something similar with their Z like Toyota did with their 86.  Reasonably priced and lightweight sports car that can be upgraded with a big selection of Nissan aftermarket parts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wheee! said:

I really thought my 2010 would be replaced with a new design by 2015...
I was wrong. And disappointed. Too many of them out there now with all the same features and design.

I wonder if Z enthusiasts had a similar opinion back in 1978. Maybe not since there were some differences from the early models, but it was all still the s30 chassis with the same body for the most part.

Edited by zeeboost
  • Like 1

I bet Nissan is thinking twice about their alliance with Renault at this point..  Nothing like being at the mercy of the French Government.  They have had problems with control over their future in the past (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi_Alliance#Conflict_over_control).  Maybe it's time for Nissan to exit the alliance now that Ghosn is out of the picture.  Politics....