IGNORED

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

BayAreaZ650

I say go for it!  Bring tools and check fluids/belts before leaving.  Get a AAA premiere membership, and if something goes wrong you could get towed up to 200miles.  I purchased and drove my '75 from Auburn to LA back in 2007.  I didn't trust the car 100% to make it up over the Grapevine so I went by way of the 58 to the 14.  It's longer by a good amount but not as steep.  Something to consider.

• Like 1

Drove mine from Tennessee to Chicago in the middle of the night. Go for it, but check for fuel/fluid leaks before you go, watch the charge and temps. Great way to know the new Z. Maybe get haggerty insurance beforehand so you can get it towed to the house if it doesn't make it all the way.

• Like 1

You got to let us know your plan now. I want to get a bag of popcorn and hear about the outcome.
Recap what I’ve read and agree with:
1. Fire Extinguisher
2. Jumper cables
3. Water bottles
4. Tool bag
5. AAA card (got a laugh out of this one)
I’ll add
6. Oil and break fluid
7. Make sure you have jack and spare tire
8. A fully charged cell phone

Good luck! These cars have a reputation for reliability but 40 yrs of owner abuse is where they unknowns come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just remembered that 77 has the space saver spare tire.  Comes with a canister of air, to fill an expanding rubber tire, made of 40+ year old rubber.  Most people switch to a smaller import "real tire and wheel.

That is one thing that might be a trip killer.  Flat tires are common.  I don't know that I'd trust that tiny expanding thing in the spare tire well.  Has anyone ever actually used one of those, after 40 years?

Maybe take a can of "Fix-a-Flat".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

- Soft brakes, have to nearly step all the way down on the pedal

- The headlight/wiper switch needs to be replaced (Seller gave us back $200 to fix this)'

Congratulations.

The brakes might just need bleeding.  The switch, cleaning.

Have fun.  My spare tire comment still holds....

• Like 1

The soft suspension could be a combination of old bushings and old struts. Most of these bushing are available new in rubber from Nissan. Switching to poly bushings can make it too harsh. Some prefer poly

Mushy brakes is normally air but could be swelling rubber flexible lines, failing seals or excess adjustment in the rear drums

The combo switches can be cleaned and are getting rare. So if the one you have can be repaired all the better

• Like 1