IGNORED

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

BayAreaZ650

I agree the fuel filter is a precautionary measure not a fix. It will save you from damaging your fuel pump which is expensive for an OEM one.
If you see rust then your tank is failing. It will only get worst and became a hazard to a reliable vehicle. It will have to be cleaned eventually so do it next off season (winter). It’s actually a pain in the arse in my opinion. Don’t put BB’s in you tank either after pulling it to use a an agitation agent to break on the rust. You’ll never get them out. I met a guy first hand who did this and it was a nightmare. He had to cut a door into the tank to get all them out and then weld it back. He eventually dipped his tank in a trash can full of 5:1 diluted water and muriatic acid followed by an immediate rinse in baking soda bath to neutralize the acid and then he poured POR-15 in there. It’s a messy job for sure.
I had mine professionally cleaned inside and out by a semi-truck radiator shop and it looks like new. Cost me $350.
This a must do job to build a reliable car in my opinion. It’s just one of the things you need to do eventually on an old car.
Here are pics of the inside and outside on my tank post cleaning and painting all done by the repair shop. Do it right the first time and save yourself time and hassles.
f7a1920ed5ffd8a164d340d0890036f0.jpg9a352700494c7af1c79802cd95103121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Went on a drive today with my dad and it drove well today! The fiancé and I went through a good amount of maintenance these past two weeks.

The transmission leak stopped after changing the switch! Thank you guys for this tip to fix it.

Next weekend we will address two issues: a fuel leak in the gas tank right under the filler cap.

The other issue is the cylindrical housing to the right of the oil filter is slowly leaking. What part would fix this issue?

B8E85DBE-B12A-49B2-8C33-43B41382CB4B.jpeg

879887BE-8212-4F1A-AA81-7D66FF0F743D.jpeg

18 minutes ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Good idea, did you put the Teflon tape on the oil sender threads?

Yes. They're the male end. The sender is. Hope that fixes it!

If you're gonna buy some I'd get that thick pink tape. I love that stuff better than the thin white.

Edited by siteunseen

Might be better to use a high temp Permatex Thread Sealant vice Teflon tape because I don’t think those tapes are designed to be exposed to petroleum products. Go to Autozone and get Permatex thread sealant. It comes in a small travel toothpaste size container. My 2 cents.

34c6405a099547b9058991609401cce1.jpg