IGNORED

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

BayAreaZ650

Looks like zcardepot sells it with an o-ring but autozone does not. So who knows. 

IIRC when I was tracing a leak at the switch I fixed it with a new o-ring. But that was about 9 years ago. So I could have installed one to stop a leak if what you say is correct Zed Head, no o-ring

Looks like it's one of those "mysteries". I can't find anything that says yes or no on the o-ring.

Edited by rcb280z

O-rings are interesting things. They were developed to replace old fiber and grease packing materials.  They are supposed to have a fairly precisely sized channel to live in to work correctly.  Not really meant to be squished flat.

I think that I just used some Hylomar blue non-hardening sealant on mine.  You could make your own paper gasket pretty easily.  Lots of flat to worth with.

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I'm not so sure that there's an O-ring there.  The ones I've seen are just two machined flats, no gasket, no O-ring.  Worth removing to take a look, for sure, though.  Easy.  19 mm wrench.

I just went and messed with one I had off to see what I remembered.  The body of the one I looked at is metal, crimped around a plastic mechanism.  some have a metal plunger.  I don't know if there's an O-ring inside or not.  But the plastic portion was loose in its seat in the metal body.  I wiggled it and oil started to work its way out.   I think that the plastic, or internal O-rings, shrink after a few million heat cycles and leaks start.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you for the photos! I placed an order for a new switch so I can fix that transmission leak.

Right now I'm trying to find the source of an oil leak. It only leaks out a few drops each day but I want go ahead and fix it. I tightened all the oil pan bolts because I noticed that they were loose. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

18 minutes ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Good morning,

i’ll be working on replacing the coolant in the Z and installing a Fram g3 fuel filter. There’s two lines coming from the fuel tank. Do I install the fuel filter on the line that connects to the fuel pump?

There's a small arrow on those filters that shows flow direction. Point it to the pump. Let me see if I can do this...yep! Learning this phone. LOL

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

If you're seeing rust in the filter, there's likely a lot more in the tank. Many of us (myself included) have removed a surprising amount of rust from our tanks. I recommend dropping it and cleaning it properly. Short version is to rinse with muriatic acid then coat with RedKote, Por-15 or something similar. Not a hard project, just a bit of a pain, but worth the peace of mind.