IGNORED

280Z fusible links

EuroDat

21 hours ago, EuroDat said:

In (brackets) are codes on the link insulation. The brown have a different number compared to the manual,. They are brown instead of the original red. That could explain the different part number.

I probably over-wrote in my other post.  But I think that the short answer is that "there is no Red link".  No "original" red.  

Chas & others,

Here are snips from the 1975 & 1976 diagrams.

1976 snip

1976snop.JPG

1975 appears to only have 2 fusible links (besides any EFI fusible links)

1975snop.JPG

1976 FSM Wiring Diagram has been uploaded to the download section.

Thanks to Chas & Capt Obvious for the discussion for me to find these files!

Wayne

Edited by wal280z
edit in bold

2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

wal280z

in his signature line too

I just saw that in his other thread, but it's not in any of the posts before I asked.  And I don't think it's a sig I think that he types int in if he wants to.  And it's not in any of his posts above this one except for the very last one before yours.

Just arguing minutiae.

• Haha 1

Zed Head, The pic you posted from MSA is one of the biggest contributors to the problems with the fusible link locations for 77.

This diagram is wrong for the 77-78:
large_fusiblelinkdiagrams.jpg&key=53e01f

I don't know where it started, but it probably started from the FSM wiring diagram for 1977. Nissan (seemingly) tried to lay the components out on the wiring diagrams kinds-sorta in the same positions they are located on the car. Problem is they screwed up the position of the black link. On the factory wiring diagram in the manual, it has the black link on the fender side back position near the firewall. But on the 77 car (I myself personally verified with a meter) that the black link should be on the fender side FRONT near the headlight.

So Nissan never really said "This diagram correctly locates the link positions on the car", but it sure can be assumed that's the case.

Problem is.... It's wrong. And others (like MSA) have been propagating that incorrect assumption ever since.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Another thing is we keep saying 77 and 78, but as far as I can make out the change happened in August 77 ot there abouts.

What change? I'm not sure what change you're talking about. The 77 and 78 manuals both look the same as far as the links go.

If you've got a 77 or 78, the links should look like this:
77-78links.jpg&key=600e9d6accac5e957e40b

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EuroDat said:

I can make out the change happened in August 77 ot there abouts.

11 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

What change? I'm not sure what change you're talking about. The 77 and 78 manuals both look the same as far as the links go.

@Captain Obvious Bruce, I can't read minds, nor do I wish to, that's just a 'B' grade Sci-fi movie mixed with an episode of the Twilight Zone... NO THANKS....

I do know that for the 1978 model year, that the wiring harness changed with an internally regulated alternator as well as changes in where the fuel injection relays.

That said, post #12 I posted a snip from the 1978 diagram. Given our off-line conversation regarding the actual location of said fusible links in the 1977, can we assume that the carry-over of the mis-placement in the 1977 diagram to the 1978 diagram? Seem logical. It's happened before.  That said, I don't have a 1978 harness to trace or verify the placement of said links.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Zed Head, The pic you posted from MSA is one of the biggest contributors to the problems with the fusible link locations for 77.

This diagram is wrong for the 77-78:
large_fusiblelinkdiagrams.jpg&key=53e01f

I don't know where it started, but it probably started from the FSM wiring diagram for 1977. Nissan (seemingly) tried to lay the components out on the wiring diagrams kinds-sorta in the same positions they are located on the car. Problem is they screwed up the position of the black link. On the factory wiring diagram in the manual, it has the black link on the fender side back position near the firewall. But on the 77 car (I myself personally verified with a meter) that the black link should be on the fender side FRONT near the headlight.

So Nissan never really said "This diagram correctly locates the link positions on the car", but it sure can be assumed that's the case.

Problem is.... It's wrong. And others (like MSA) have been propagating that incorrect assumption ever since.

@James@TheZStore  @Joseph@TheZStore

Maybe one of the ZStore guys can fix it.