IGNORED

Complete roof R&R

madkaw

I would try to cut and patch and not touch the pillars because what you cant see is the multi-layers in the  pillars.

This is a picture of what you will find when you cut the front pillar below the roof line

3-4 layers 

frontpillar.png

Whoa, that is some serious repair work,  I guess I would tack some angle iron joining all 4 pillars to each other then tack a couple of diagonal cross braces as well and then start drilling spot welds removing one layer at a time.  Some pieces will be repairable and some look they will have to be remade.

Cutting the A-pillars vs replacing everything that's rusted on this one, Hmm. That A-pillar doesn't look as daunting as the rust option. You would want to weld all the internal joints and work your way out on both sides. It would require cutting a piece from the outside layers above and below the joint to provide access to the inside sheet metal, then inserting a patch on the outside layers that would bridge the joints. 

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

I think I would still take the peel the onion approach

So, after sleeping on it, I agree again.  I would keep “peeling” from the top down until I found some solid metal to use as a base to start building back up (or until the  entire roof disappears).

19 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

I'm sure I speak for the whole group when I say, We'd like to see each layer as you peel it away. There's something compelling about it. Kinda like peeling a sunburn or clearcoat.

I’ll take pics just to categorize the assembly for reassembly . Of course if I screw up or give up , I’ll have picks of parts in the classifieds -lol

Currently working out the jig to keep things aligned . Need to find some more bed frames !

Edited by madkaw