IGNORED

Problem With Differential Installation

ea6driver

14 minutes ago, ea6driver said:

check out diagram #RA276 on page RA-10.  It shows the mustache bar oriented opposite the diagram on page RA-3.

Sure does. LOL. That drawing was probably ported from earlier years. That could potentially encourage you to install your moustache bar backwards if you saw that sketch before you saw the one on RA-3.

Also interesting to note... My .pdf scanned version of the 78 manual is completely missing RA-9 through the end of the RA section. Get what you pay for, I guess. Thankfully though, it appears that the 77 and 78 manuals are identical in that area and the 77 includes the pages that the 78 does not.

Edited by Captain Obvious

Yes..let's hope so.  Tomorrow I'll be "reconnecting" the right side lower control arm to the strut with a shiny new spindle pin and PU bushings.  I've already read enough on the forum to know that I'll likely need some patience during that job.  But I'll be sure to chime in again if I encounter problems!

I think that I got my 1978 FSM from xenonzcar.com, or nicoclub.com.  Can't remember.  I don't even see what you guys are talking about.  I have Fig. RA-27 on page RA-10, and page RA-9 above it.  No RA-276 or-278.

Maybe somebody blended chapters to create a full FSM?  Old with new...

image.png

Sorry about that...here's photos of the diagrams we've been talking about from the 78 FSM:

The first photo is of page RA-10, diagram #RA276.  It incorrectly shows the mustache bar installed on the 78Z with the mounting "cylinders" aft of the mustache bar itself (I've highlighted the actual mustache bar for clarity).  It also incorrectly shows the bar installed forward of the link mounting brace. Post #6 above shows a photo the correct installation in a 78Z.

The second photo is of page RA-11, diagram #RA278.  While less obvious, it still shows the mustache bar incorrectly installed forward of the link mounting brace.  Again, actual mustache bar highlighted.

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

Haha!!! And now that you've taken a highlighter to your hard-copy, you need to write a note next to it "This is the wrong position - See page RA-3 for correct orientation!" LOL

11 hours ago, ea6driver said:

(I've highlighted the actual mustache bar for clarity

IMG_3109.JPG

And putting the spindle pin back IN isn't a difficult job. It's often the REMOVAL that's the royal PITA. Once you have it out and everything is clean, the reassembly is the easy part.

And I got another question... Did you replace the moustache bar bushings or wave washers with new parts, or are you reusing the old stuff cleaned up?  Pic here:
IMG_3105.JPG

I had read elsewhere on the forum that others had difficulty reassembling the lower control arm and strut because of the very tight fit once the new PU bushings were in place.  Some simply sanded down the "flanges" of the bushings while others discussed techniques for spreading the control arm mounting points.  We'll see what happens once I see just how tight it is.

As for the "wave washers" on the mustache bar, they are new OEM washers.  They've been laying in a box in my garage for probably over a decade.  I'm reusing the original bushing inside the mustache bar.  It looked OK as far as I could see.  I"m sure it isn't as good as new, but with all the complaints I'd read about PU bushings transmitting gear noise I just didn't want to take the chance with that.  

16 minutes ago, ea6driver said:

I had read elsewhere on the forum that others had difficulty reassembling the lower control arm and strut because of the very tight fit once the new PU bushings were in place.  Some simply sanded down the "flanges" of the bushings while others discussed techniques for spreading the control arm mounting points.  We'll see what happens once I see just how tight it is.

As for the "wave washers" on the mustache bar, they are new OEM washers.  They've been laying in a box in my garage for probably over a decade.  I'm reusing the original bushing inside the mustache bar.  It looked OK as far as I could see.  I"m sure it isn't as good as new, but with all the complaints I'd read about PU bushings transmitting gear noise I just didn't want to take the chance with that.  

It would be really interesting if there was a vendor like MSA @Joseph@TheZStore who would be interested in reproducing the wavy washers. Yours would make excellent models for a mold.

9 hours ago, ea6driver said:

I had read elsewhere on the forum that others had difficulty reassembling the lower control arm and strut because of the very tight fit once the new PU bushings were in place.

As for the "wave washers" on the mustache bar, they are new OEM washers.  They've been laying in a box in my garage for probably over a decade.

Yeah, I guess I've heard some people have a little trouble squeezing the PU bushings into place, but that's a cakewalk compared to removing an angry pair of spindle pins.

Thanks for the info on the wave washers. I have a pair of moustache bar bushings I intend to install into my car some day, but there's really no point to doing so unless I come up with a plan for the washers.

Just cuz I'm in the mood to stir up trouble, I have an observation about this diff getting moved to solve a rear end vibration or u-joint wear issue.

The 510 IRS has it's half shafts in the supposed "bad" position with the wheel hubs behind the diff flanges by just about the same amount as the early Z's had. Ie, half shafts not 90 to diff. Nothing was ever done or said about vibration problems or u-joints prematurely wearing out in 510s (and later 610s). Me thinks there is more to the Z issue than has been revealed. I smell a Gosher style cover up....

Back to regular programming....

• Like 1