IGNORED

I want to buy a cheap 240z-280z!

moozieman

14 minutes ago, wal280z said:

I get updates at least once a week for "new" Datsuns entering a network of junkyards (row52.com)

Last S30 update was back in January... They are getting scarce... If this was local, it would be crushed by now

I saw that one. 5 hours away. Too busy to go, unfortunately. 

Seems like we are missing some information from the OP. 

What do you mean by the word "cheap"? Please give us a dollar amount that you want to buy the car for.

Is this going to be your sole daily driver or is this a project / fun car, in addition to your daily driver?

If this is a project, how much of a project do you want? Do you want it to be a totally functioning and safe car from day 1 that isn't a rust bucket, starts, drives as it should, stops straight, etc, but can be improved over time with multiple projects? Or are you looking for something that may not even run that you will need to solve multiple significant issues before being able to drive and enjoy?

My general thoughts and opinions ....

If this is going to be your daily driver, a cheap zcar isn't going to be your friend. Instead, if you want a modern car that has a similar DNA, consider a NA Miata.

As far as price goes, what you are reading above is that the market for the S30 cars, and in particular the 240z models, has skyrocketed. What you really need is a time machine. Let me know if you find one. The problem with "cheap" zcars is that the initial purchase price typically tricks the inexperienced into thinking they are getting a bargain. To me, the sweet spot for someone wanting a relatively rust free car that starts, drives as it should (though not perfectly), is safe, stops straight, has complete interior that needs some attention but isn't a rats nest, is a 280z that will cost between 8k and 12k. Unless you have a friend of a friend who just gives you a great deal, I don't think you can find a 240z that has these qualities for this price range in the open market. 

• Like 1

My ZX was a parts car when I got it. Now it can be daily driven. It barely ran, had/has rust and dents and hardly moved due to wheel bearings in a miserable state. I got lucky and paid $200 US for it about 3years ago.

I see them selling for 2500 in a similar state. I also see 1st gen Mazda RX7`s in decent running condition from 1500 to 7500. I've always wanted one of those, lowered a hair, maybe some alloy rims from the mid `80`s 626. Anyways, you can always get lucky. The real challenge is being patient and pulling the trigger at the right time. IMG_20181224_221643.thumb.jpeg.c3d7bdf36db610b56e837abc96ecf2d5.jpeg

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

On 3/7/2019 at 8:47 AM, moozieman said:

Hey! I've spent a while looking for a cheap car. I really only care that it has a decent/fixable body. I've come across a few for less than 1k, but the sales keep falling through. Any leads or suggestions? 

This was $800 Canadian, about $ 620 US ....6709F4F6-B8FD-4ECB-ACCB-6E44B9A6893C.jpeg

1A4D8B5D-BA0D-4316-9A99-B60D1D9E91FB.jpeg

I thought it it was a sweet deal ?☺️?‍♂️

14 hours ago, jonathanrussell said:

Seems like we are missing some information from the OP. 

What do you mean by the word "cheap"? Please give us a dollar amount that you want to buy the car for.

Is this going to be your sole daily driver or is this a project / fun car, in addition to your daily driver?

If this is a project, how much of a project do you want? Do you want it to be a totally functioning and safe car from day 1 that isn't a rust bucket, starts, drives as it should, stops straight, etc, but can be improved over time with multiple projects? Or are you looking for something that may not even run that you will need to solve multiple significant issues before being able to drive and enjoy?

My general thoughts and opinions ....

If this is going to be your daily driver, a cheap zcar isn't going to be your friend. Instead, if you want a modern car that has a similar DNA, consider a NA Miata.

As far as price goes, what you are reading above is that the market for the S30 cars, and in particular the 240z models, has skyrocketed. What you really need is a time machine. Let me know if you find one. The problem with "cheap" zcars is that the initial purchase price typically tricks the inexperienced into thinking they are getting a bargain. To me, the sweet spot for someone wanting a relatively rust free car that starts, drives as it should (though not perfectly), is safe, stops straight, has complete interior that needs some attention but isn't a rats nest, is a 280z that will cost between 8k and 12k. Unless you have a friend of a friend who just gives you a great deal, I don't think you can find a 240z that has these qualities for this price range in the open market. 

Not an everyday driver

As the every day public sees more and more articles about the value of Z cars, the odds of finding a really cheap one goes down exponentially. I am afraid those days are pretty much gone. The definition of a really cheap Z car is changing sort of like the value of a "cheap" ferrari

• Like 4