IGNORED

What’s underneath my steering wheel cover?

zella

The steering wheel that’s in my 75 280z has this leather cover. I tried slowly opening up the cover to see what it looks like underneath and couldn’t really figure out what kind of material lies under the leather cover. Anyone else have photos of what his steering wheel might look like without the cover?

F6908BF4-E54A-4079-8613-4EEA4413488A.jpeg

7 hours ago, siteunseen said:

It's foamy feeling thing, sticky kind of.  I don't like mine so I covered it.

This picture shows what it turns into.  It will give you an idea of what they feel like after 40 plus years in the sun.

image.png

Yikes! That is not pretty.

I restored a 240z wheel with new mahogany, when you take away the (in this case) foam..  there will be a 1/4 inch  (6,35mm) thick steel ring in it..  (i made out of 12 pcs wood a brand new steeringwheel that i'm using now for over 10 years. it has 8 coats of laquer (how the hell do i whrite that.. hahaha)) 

Still looks like new and one of my proud accomplices (huh?? )  yeah that!  haha.. (NO don't want to start up a translating prog.  ? )

Steering wheel rims on later models are finished in hard rubber, like the later model shift knobs. There is a slight difference in the 1977/78 model steering wheel hard rubber rim than earlier type hard rubber rims, in that the former type hard rubber rim has faux "stitching"  at the 6 o'clock position, whereas the 1977/78 model does not, I believe (same as on my 1977 UK 260Z, i.e., no faux stitching ).

DSC03812.JPG

• Like 1